Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sounds - what do they mean?  (Read 3385 times)

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Sounds - what do they mean?
« on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »

So my young chinchilla was pretty skittish when I first got her. She used to bark a lot but she doesn't do that anymore. However, whenever I pick her up from her cage or pet her she makes a sound similar to a Guinea pig. I'm not sure whether this is a good sound or not
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:27:31 AM by GrayRodent »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »

Some chinchillas are more vocal than others. If she is stressed she will slip fur and you'll see a lot of fur coming off. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you observe that, or biting.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »

When I take her out to play I will sometime notice a  little black fur in the corner not sure if that means she fur bites

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »

Chinchillas can shed a bit of fur under normal circumstances. If your chin is fur biting the fur on its back will be damaged and the undercoat will be exposed and it looks pretty ratty.
When a chin slips fur it's obvious. It come out in chunks when you handle your chin and is part of a defense mechanism to get away from threats.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

prince_medion

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds - what do they mean?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »

My chins used to fur slip a lot whenever I touched them but they've stopped now. They never were very vocal except for calling each others out or the odd short disagreement. However one of them started making the most unusual sound today and repeatedly too, did not sound like the alarm or angry bark, same kind of frequency but less high pitch and sounds like a typical kazoo sound. He looked in some kind of upset and wouldn't even take a treat off me and refused to interact with me when I was trying to reassure him. The other one was perfectly fine, curious as always and coming to see and smell me and interacting as usual. I really don't know what was bugging him as it was in the middle of the day and seemed out of the blue.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »

I don't know what that means. I've never encountered that myself. When my chins are upset by noise they do act similarly but usually give a typical alarm call if vocalizing. Maybe someone else will comment.

terezavictoria

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »

Perhaps I'm a bit late to this discussion.

But I have one very vocal chin, who does that sound at times.
Two days ago when we were on a "cuddle session" he looked at me so upset and started that kazoo like sound.
He does a wide variety of sounds that I have never heard on those websites list which are very curious.

My other chin only barks and does the alarm sound.
Both of them like to use the alarm sound to get attention. I get all worried and when I came by their cages they just run to the bars so I can let them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up