Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new chin - setting up cage  (Read 871 times)

loobers25

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My new chin - setting up cage
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »

Hello everyone,

So I am finally getting my first chin this week! Im going to be collecting him this week from a local rescue, which gives us plenty of time to prepare. 

We where thinking of building a large cage out of nic grids and wood.  We want him to have a big cage and we feel the ones for sale in the UK are small so want to build. Have you got any tips for us? And can I ask why most people cover their ledges with fleece? And how do you secure it safely.

Thanks everyone,

Lucy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:28:04 AM by GrayRodent »

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: My new chin
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »

NIC grids are not a good choice for chins. The grid is just large enough that some adult chins can get their heads through. They are often connected with plastic clips which your chin will chew. A metal and wire mesh cage is the best for your chin. Wooden shelves can be added to make it more interesting.

With chins they often prefer smaller cages. You have to remember they are den dwelling animals so feel the safest in a tiny area. Also depending on the age of your chin, a large cage may not be appropriate. Chins under 6-7 months need a cage with low ledges and shelves (so they cant fall and hurt themselves). Many people notice that their chins are more friendly in a smaller cage.

Many people cover plastic items with fleece to prevent the chin from chewing it. That way they dont have to replace everything in the cage. There are certain chins that will chew fleece, so if you see any signs-those items need to be removed
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

loobers25

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »

Thanks for replying!

The rescue doesn't know how old he is or what sort of personality he has other than he didn't like being there with all the other animals and was stressed.  He was in a cage with plywood platforms and no enchrichments so I couldn't tell if he was chewy.  He was alseep when I met him and didn't want to wake him.

I've got the material to build wire cage and o have also aeen a nice metal rat cage on gum tree which leads to my next question. 

When making shelves are you not aloud plywood or is it ok if you cover with fleece. I see all sorts of set ups online sith woods that supposedly isn't safe? Also all the houses in shops are made from the same?

Thanks for your help

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »

I recommend using untreated white pine or aspen wood as shelving that is not covered by fleece lining.
These shelves are very easy to build. Just use stud bolts, fender washers, and wingnuts.

Plywood is poisonous if it is ingested because of its binders.

Chinchillas that are healthy chew on everything. If your chinchilla does not chew anything at all there is probably something wrong with it. Of course a new chinchilla could take a couple of weeks to start behaving normally after relocation but they are usually most active after sundown.

Wooden houses for chinchillas are usually made of white pine which is safe.

Please consider the fact that most cages will come with wire shelves and wire ramps. Chinchillas don't need ramps and they have been proven to be extremely dangerous. I recommend discarding those and using solid wood shelving.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up