Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla going through stress?  (Read 1413 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla going through stress?
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »

Hello everybody at the chinchilla club its been a very long while that i havent came on this forum. But i have a very important question that i need solved. So for the majority of the time all 3 chinchillas were living at my dads house with a terrible air conditioner. Eventually i got a new one for my moms house so i can bring them over and give them better attention than going back and forth to my dads house and having my dad check up on them before leaving work. Long story short they are now living with me and seem to be stressed? One of my boys doesnt seem to care. The other seems about fine but when i carry him he is in freeze mode and as soon as i open his cage door he wants to jump off asap like he is scared or something. The baby seems kinda the same. Everyone is eating fine drinking water fine, pooping fine. So in that area i have no concerns also i havent ordered any chew toys so i know im due for that this coming tuesday which excited for since a couple stores have new chew toys and such. But what should i do in terms of them having stress? Should i leave the room to them alone more or should i do somehing else? I also keep them in a room with sugar gliders too but they have done well with them at my dads house. I will really appriciate the help asap so i know what things to do thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla going through stress?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:58:44 PM »

Are you moving your chinchillas from house to house on a regular basis? If that is the case you should not do that because chinchillas do not accept that kind of stress. They need to live at one house and stay there or you are going to have behavioral problems.

The cure for your problems is treat them gently and normally and establish a stable environment for them. Eventually they will adjust to their new place. Sometimes it helps to run a fan nearby (never blowing into the cage) to help drown out new noises. With chinchillas it can still take them time to adjust even if they have been to the same place in the past. Make sure other pets like cats and dogs stay out of the room.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »

Are you moving your chinchillas from house to house on a regular basis? If that is the case you should not do that because chinchillas do not accept that kind of stress. They need to live at one house and stay there or you are going to have behavioral problems.

The cure for your problems is treat them gently and normally and establish a stable environment for them. Eventually they will adjust to their new place. Sometimes it helps to run a fan nearby (never blowing into the cage) to help drown out new noises. With chinchillas it can still take them time to adjust even if they have been to the same place in the past. Make sure other pets like cats and dogs stay out of the room.

This is the first time they have been been here at my moms house, they were at my dads for about 2 and a half years and since he is moving to an appartment soon i had to make a change for them as soon as possible. I would never bring them back and forth from house to house. And sorry if it sounded like i said that. We do currently have a dog so now i know to keep him away. My brother and i did do a deep clean today and closely monitored them as they were out of there cage and did ok. But now i know to give them time to settle in and get use to the new smells and noises of the house. On occasion i put the a/c into the 2nd speed so theres less noise.

P.S. I do remember first adopting them it took about a month and a half close to 2 months to become well established at my dads house. So i kinda have to take things slow with them.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »

Sounds good. I think they'll do fine. Chins are usually going to act differently the first month after a major relocation or change. It's nothing to be concerned about considering there has been no change in their eating habits. Sounds like you're handling the situation perfectly.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »

Sounds good. I think they'll do fine. Chins are usually going to act differently the first month after a major relocation or change. It's nothing to be concerned about considering there has been no change in their eating habits. Sounds like you're handling the situation perfectly.
i stayed up late and hesrd barking from mr chachi. We have a raccoon trying to make herself a home in our garage! So i went into there room and offered some rosebuds to him. Well he didnt take it from me so i called my brother over and he took the rose bud out of my brothers hands like nothing lol hes such a hilarious chin. Thank you gray rodent i miss this forum so much especially coming to get some reassurance makes me happy! Thank you :) btw would you recommend alfalfa and oat hay cubes to them? I want something thats going to help grind down their teeth and give them variety of different hays and chews
-Manny

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »

I've never heard of giving them oat hay cubes. I think oats are okay as a treat but not a supplement.
Alfalfa hay cubes are perfectly fine.
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you to get rid of the raccoon.
I'm glad to be of help. That is why we are here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up