Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Sneeze  (Read 2309 times)

laney1010

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Sneeze
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

Hi! i'm new to the thread :) My chin, Bullet, is probably around 1.5-2 years old. He has been very healthy, likes to nibble on his sticks, always has access to hay and pellets, a lava stone, a wheel, and house, water of course, and a chinchiller... I've never had any problems with him. I am being a bit paranoid because I recently lost my gecko Smaug 2 weeks ago and I am just a tad worried (just because I'm being paranoid and EVERYONE seems to think because a chinchilla sneezes 3 times over the course of 3 days, he's going to die...)

I noticed the other night after he had had a long dust bath that morning about 8 hours before he sneezed twice, moved on and was fine. NO discharge, No crusties, no eye problems...

The the very next night he sneezed once, wiped his little nose, no crusties or anything. He's been fine ever since, that was probably 3 days ago. Everyone I've read about states that he has a URI and will go downhill very fast?!

Is this true, or do chinchillas really never sneeze unless they're sick?

(I am a vet assistant and one of the vets at my clinic is very good with ferrets and rats, she says she's never worked with a chinchilla, and when I got bullet around 8 months old, he hadn't been petted or loved much, so although he will come up to me on his terms and sit next to me, he doesn't really like to be held, so I really don't want to actually take him into the clinic to be held and have his chest listened to because he will end up very cranky and lose all of his fur to stress I'm sure..)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Sneeze
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:04:27 AM »

After a dust bath mine usually sneezes once or twice. Sometimes after an hour or two. I do not suspect respiratory problems in mine. He is about the same age as yours.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chinchinlover96

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »

Have a quick question but  has anyone ever had their chin sneeze while petting them??

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »

Chinchillas will sneeze on occasion like any other mammal. Mine will sometimes sneeze once or twice on dust bath days that I notice but not always.
Respiratory infection symptoms include watery eyes, discharge from the nose, weight loss from going off its food (which is one reason why you should be monitoring your pets weight about once a week and keeping track of daily fecal output) and sometimes scratching at the nose causing redness and irritation. Another sign of URI is breath sounds. A chinchilla's breathing should be silent.

If your pet is sneezing repeatedly constantly pawing at its nose making it red you should see a vet ASAP.
With that being said it is your pet and you know what is normal for it. If you think it needs a vet exam it is your call.

Typically a chinchilla when it develops symptoms of a URI will go downhill fast but there are exceptions.

I don't think I've ever had mine sneeze while I was petting them but it doesn't mean it can't happen with a healthy pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up