Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage Cleaning Schedule?  (Read 1572 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Cage Cleaning Schedule?
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »

Aloha!!

Still researching and looking for answers.  So this is what I've gathered about cleaning.  Does this sound right??

• Daily - vacuum/sweep up pooh, remove soiled hay/food, clean water bottle & replace, new hay & pellets

• Weekly - remove fleece liners, replace with clean ones and wash them for future use (no detergent or fabric softener, just some vinegar), wipe down bars with a vinegar/water solution

Those seem to be fairly standard across the board.  What I'm wondering (from growing up on a mranch with exotics) is what about a monthly deep cleaning. Like boil any lava ledges, toss any toys that have been soiled (I would glance at them during daily and weekly, but monthly I'd REALLY give them a good look), wipe down any ledges, shelves, houses and tunnels.  Maybe even re-arrange things a bit to give curious chins something new to explore.

Opinions?  Does this monthly plan work?  Or does the weekly cleaning keep it odor-free and germ-free?  Anything I should add to the cleaning chores?  Daily, weekly or monthly??

Mahalo in advance for your reply!!
~ Tina

P.S. Attached are new pictures of my Joey from the breeder!  September is just too damn far away!!

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Cage Cleaning Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »

I think you're overthinking it. I check my cage every day. If something looks wrong I fix it.
If toys are worn out I replace them. As far as pumice I've never washed that before but it is something to consider. I'd say smell it and if it smells bad it's time to do something about it. I try to change out the wood shelving and flooring and deep clean the cage about once a year. One time I had a chin come down with coccidiosis and did it right before he came off the antibiotics. Chinchillas are very easy to take care of.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Re: Cage Cleaning Schedule?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

I think you're overthinking it. I check my cage every day. If something looks wrong I fix it.
If toys are worn out I replace them. As far as pumice I've never washed that before but it is something to consider. I'd say smell it and if it smells bad it's time to do something about it. I try to change out the wood shelving and flooring and deep clean the cage about once a year. One time I had a chin come down with coccidiosis and did it right before he came off the antibiotics. Chinchillas are very easy to take care of.

My OCD rearing its ugly head I'm sure!

Mahalo!
~Tina

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)
Pages: [1]   Go Up