Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 927 times)

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Vacation
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »

So in November, I am going on vacation with my family. We are going to be gone for a whole week. WE have a pet sitter that comes to take care of all the pets, however, she is just feeding my chinchillas... its too expensive and time worthy for her to take them out and play. I'm not sure what i should do. Whether i have a friend come over to do it or are they fine to leave for a week without coming out. I feel very bad if they don't come out to play, but having a friend come over means they can lose one very easily. Any advice?

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »

So in November, I am going on vacation with my family. We are going to be gone for a whole week. WE have a pet sitter that comes to take care of all the pets, however, she is just feeding my chinchillas... its too expensive and time worthy for her to take them out and play. I'm not sure what i should do. Whether i have a friend come over to do it or are they fine to leave for a week without coming out. I feel very bad if they don't come out to play, but having a friend come over means they can lose one very easily. Any advice?

My chinbaby hasn't come home yet, so this is just a guess.  Look for a chinchilla breeder, or another owner, at the least, and ask them to come "walk" your chin?  Or take them, cage and all, to the breeder?  Just a few suggestions, but please, use your own judgement!!

~Tina

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

I don't think there is going to be any problem with leaving your pet in its cage for a week. I recommend not having your friend taking him out of the cage. But I also recommend having your friend demonstrate she safely can take him out of the cage in an emergency and have a travel cage ready before you leave.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillalover101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »

I got my chinchilla from a breeder in a different state, but thanks anyways. I just feel guilty leaving them home for a week. When the pet sitter comes, i can leave her a note saying what to do. What should i tell her to do while I'm gone besides taking them out?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »

For one week I don't think she'll even need to clean the cages. She doesn't need to take them out unless there is an emergency (such an air conditioner failure or veterinary emergency) and needs to remove them from the house.

You should have a thermometer in the room to monitor the temperature. The thermostat for the air conditioner needs to be set properly. She needs to know how to operate the air conditioner if it gets too hot inside and the proper temperature range of your pet. And the usual feeding and watering. You should have all of the information she might need to get it to the veterinarian of your choice if something goes wrong.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillalover101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »

I have my chinchillas in the basement and its very cold down there so i don't think that'll be a problem.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »

Chins only need food, water and a clean cage. No play time is actually going to be best in this situation. Ive heard stories of pet sitters who couldnt catch the chins so left them loose, killed chins, lost them.... Its much safer and they will be just fine without play time
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up