Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade ChinChiller?  (Read 1769 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Homemade ChinChiller?
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »

Aloha!

Tired of me yet?  My OCD has kicked in and I want my cage to be PERFECT when little Joey comes home in September!!  I'm hoping she'll bring a companion with her.  Since I have a good 6-weeks to prepare her cage, I get to use my remodeling and crafty skills!

So I have 2 types of tile left over from when we tiled our house and bathroom last year.  The ChinChiller I see available says it's made of granite, the one kind I don't have!  One is ceramic and one is porcelain.  Do you think either of these would work?  I want to make a good-sized tiled shelf so they can stretch out!  I know when they get warm, both our dogs and our cats will move to the tile floor to chill out.  That tells me, it should work for Joey, but thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had a negative experience with ceramic or porcelain tiles.

Mahalo yet again,
~Tina

P.S. I really need to figure out how to put my picture of Joey as my avatar and create a signature as well!  Tomorrow is another day I guess!

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Homemade ChinChiller?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »

Tile is okay. Just make sure they can't get to the edges and crack it with their teeth or there can be a serious problem.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

prince_medion

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade ChinChiller?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »

I have 1 ceramic tile on each of the shelves and they seem to like resting on them after play time. You could frame the tiles with some untreated pine angle molding, that's what i've done. I also have a big ceramic pot saucer too. You could try putting them in the fridge before play time, 3o mins is enough, then wipe them dry and put it in after playtime as that's when they are more likely to overheat
Pages: [1]   Go Up