Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh Lava Stone?  (Read 892 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Fresh Lava Stone?
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »

Aloha!

I'm looking at the attached and had a question:

My house is sitting on beautiful black fresh lava stone.  Well, in lava terms, it's fresh... I believe sometime during the last 500 years!!   ;)

So. My question...  I don't have the year this lava field was formed, but I can tell its older than 100 years.  I'm wondering if I boil the crap outta it (crude too), if I could give it to my chins.  I have basically an acre of lava rock just 3/4's" down!, my parents have six acres!!  I could build my chins a cute little rock pile to run around on!!  Heck, I could build them a 10-foot tall one but boiling THAT many rocks doesn't seem very interesting!

If I need NEW lava, the active flow in Hawai'i right now is approx. 15 miles away, give or take 5 miles.  Might be a tad hot, but pele is surely being adamant about pushing lava out right now!

Mahalo!!
~Tina & Joey
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:11:01 PM by IkiKolohe »

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Fresh Lava Stone?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »

That's an interesting proposition. Honestly I don't know if there are any major differences between what you get at the store and what might flow in. Maybe you should ask a geologist and express concerns about chemicals and gasses that could be problematic. Especially if you want to use larger chunks of it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up