Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping My Options Open  (Read 2659 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Keeping My Options Open
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Is there a specific reason you want to breed? It can be very costly and your cages are not breeding appropriate. Are your females from a reputable breeder with pedigrees?

Yes...  My breeder is a member of the Empress Chinchilla Breeders Association.  She seems very knowledgeable, always has time to answer my questions and from what I see from her videos, website and Facebook, truly cares about her chins and breeding them. She has a beautiful line (or 10, heh) of Royal Persian Angora chinchillas!!  Show quality and pedigreed!!

I haven't really decided yet if I'm going to breed or not, but I do want to leave that option open.  I've been breeding my AKC red toy poodles for nearly 10 years now.  In that time, I've had 6 litters (2 of them on the same day).  I retired my papa at 6.5 years old and my momma dog at just over 5.  They both continue to sleep on our bed at night and pretty much get spoiled rotten.

It's been almost 6 years since we've had a litter.  We are selective about picking human parents and am still in contact with all of them (spread out from coast to coast).  We continue to be available 24/7/365 for any of them that have concerns and questions. Just trying to point out that overall, I'm not in it for the money. If it's like anything else I've helped raise, you prolly spend three times as much as you "earn" for the babies.  I grew up on a farm, was a 4-H member and am very interested in genetics and improving the breed.  For my toys, we bred for happy, healthy puppies in the red color.  None of our puppies have ever had any major health problems (*knock on wood*), and all but 1 still remain with their furever home (and the 1 that isn't is because her mama passed so one of the daughters has her now).  Our puppy parents have thanked us numerous times for raising such happy puppies.  We were/are extremely obsessive about the socialization of puppies, getting them used to everyday things at an early age (vacuum, clippers, water, other dogs, cats and other small animals, etc.).  Our puppies spent, at the minimum, of an hour three times a day with us.  This included getting their weight for my chart, a quick feel/look over to make sure nothing questionable was up that I needed to speak to my vet about and then lots and LOTS of play!!  I've spent numerous nights up with sick puppies... Dryer warmed towels, supplement feeding, weighing repeatedly, etc..  My main momma had to have a c-section ($800)... I wouldn't have bred her again after th first time BUT she throws spectacular red babies and my vet (who I have been gong to for years) said he wasn't concerned about it effecting her health.  We never bred 2 cycles back to back, but let her recover full strength before deciding if we would breed her next cycle.  I only share this to show that I do know about unexpected vet bills and will, if needed, run to my vet here on the island as fast as my large legs would carry me!  I also have a cousin who is a chin-owner AND a Veternarian!!  She's not local but she's available by phone and text 24/7/365.

I keep a "species"-specific first aid kit on hand... I started it 12 years ago with my toy dog stuff, but I've added to it.  Usually before that species arrives!  I've since added cat and chicken specific health items. I have already started adding more chin-specific stuff and Joey, my baby, won't be able to come home until September! It's amazing how many things are friendly to a wider kind of species.  I have always tried to go as natural as I can, and I think, because of the no chemical stuff, it's more friendly!

Sorry, didn't mean to go "off" like that, and while I haven't decided to breed or not, as I mentioned above, I do want to keep that option open.  It's not something I'd undertake willy nilly, nor expect to make any money.  I would only do it if I had a specific goal in mind, had done my research fully and felt I could be a positive influence rather than a negative for the breed.  I would only breed those animals that I knew their pedigree and backgrounds.  That being said, again, just leaving myself that option.

I'm starting out with a Critter Nation over the Ferret Nation, because it's much more kit friendly (bars are closer together for one).  If I decide to breed, I would set up a "whelping/birthing/baby" cage specifically for mama and her little kits to keep them safe - smaller spacing, no shelves and only "one" story.

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Keeping My Options Open
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »

That's really cool. Sounds like you would probably do well as long as you are breeding to improve the species and not breeding pet quality animals. I'm amazed you have a source like that there. Maybe you can help start a trend.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »

I sounds like you have a great start. Im curious though who has angoras and is also an ECBC member. Theres not that many breeders working with that mute.

Just a note, the older that your female gets the harder birthing can be for her. Ive used females as old as 9 but sometimes age works against you. Her milk never came in and i had to hand raise all the kits. I always suggest males for people who are undecided. They can sit there for yrs and going into breeding at an older age doesnt affect them the same way it does for a female
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »

I sounds like you have a great start. Im curious though who has angoras and is also an ECBC member. Theres not that many breeders working with that mute.

Hawaii Chinchillas Website

Just a note, the older that your female gets the harder birthing can be for her. Ive used females as old as 9 but sometimes age works against you. Her milk never came in and i had to hand raise all the kits. I always suggest males for people who are undecided. They can sit there for yrs and going into breeding at an older age doesnt affect them the same way it does for a female

Aye, I tend to retire my breeders at a young age so they can have a good time just being themselves.  My main momma retired at 5 years old, she's now 11.  My little boy retired at 6.5 years old and he's currently 12.  Because I keep hearing "20 years", I can't see breeding past about 8, or possibly 10, depending on momma. 

Abbie, my momma dog was a natural, she ADORED puppies, didn't have to be her own even!!  Our last litters she had 3 puppies and our Auntie dog had 5, just 36 hours later.  We kept them apart for 2 weeks but then let the 2 litters mingle during "play time".  Both mom's would nurse, but when it was time to clean-up, Bella would move to the couch and let Abbie potty and clean her pups while she watched!

Mahalo!
~ Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »

That's really cool. Sounds like you would probably do well as long as you are breeding to improve the species and not breeding pet quality animals. I'm amazed you have a source like that there. Maybe you can help start a trend.

Aye!!  I am currently getting In September (when it cools off enough for the hour flight from Oahu to the Big Island):

Standard Sc 50% RPAc, born 5/13/16, I named her Joey (picture attached)

I kinda wanted another RPAc (unfortunately, I just can't afford a true RPA), but she doesn't have a second female available right now (last litter was 3 boys).  I do have my eye on a goldbar baby, I just LOVE their coloring.  And she's offered a proven breeder (born 1/5/15), another Standard 50% RPAc - she is moving (today in fact) and into a smaller place so she has to downsize.  She said she got this baby in Europe!  Yikes, and I'm concerned with flying my babies in a 45-minute flight?  I can't imagine a 10-12 hour flight!  Do they really travel in the air ok?

Still researching the RPA's to see if I could manage to help them move along!

Mahalo,
~ Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:40:28 AM »

Sounds great. Chinchillas have no problem with overnight trips as long as they are kept in a calm, quiet environment with the temperature properly regulated. Sometimes they will not eat or drink during that time so make sure when you get home to make sure they have plenty of time in the cage that first day or two. It can take up to two weeks for a chinchilla to calm down after being relocated.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up