Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Douglas Fir?  (Read 1202 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Douglas Fir?
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »

Aloha!!

I'm having some trouble finding "kiln dried white pine" on my island... I've looked at the big box stores (Home Depot and Ace), and even my local lumber company (HPM) with no luck.  However, I keep seeing kiln dried Douglas fir.  I did read somewhere that Douglas fir was chin-friendly... Can you guys agree with that??

Mahalo in advance for your time and responses!
Tina
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:54:14 PM by IkiKolohe »

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Douglas Fir?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:11:08 PM »

In my opinion it is safe. I find it on a couple of sites that say it is safe for parrots which is a good sign. It is also not a true 'fir' so there may be some controversy about this.
I wish I could answer that definitively but as you might know there's not a lot of formal research that goes into this. Especially when it comes to chinchillas. Perhaps someone else will have more answers on our board.
Considering that in most places you can get white pine, it is known to be safe, that is just what most chinchilla owners are using. It doesn't mean other materials are not safe. It just means they are not as well tested.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Re: Douglas Fir?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

In my opinion it is safe. I find it on a couple of sites that say it is safe for parrots which is a good sign. It is also not a true 'fir' so there may be some controversy about this.
I wish I could answer that definitively but as you might know there's not a lot of formal research that goes into this. Especially when it comes to chinchillas. Perhaps someone else will have more answers on our board.
Considering that in most places you can get white pine, it is known to be safe, that is just what most chinchilla owners are using. It doesn't mean other materials are not safe. It just means they are not as well tested.

Aye... There are drawbacks to living in Hawai'i.  Nothing is "usual" here.  I actually grew up in timber country, the town I lived in started out as a company town for a large timber company in the NW, my high school mascot was a "Logger" and white pine was EVERYWHERE!  Damned if I can find it here though... I asked at Home Depot, and I kid you not, the gentleman's eyes glazed over as he mutters "huh? The lumber is over that way!"  I know several of my classmates went on to become loggers, I'm tempted to email them and ask for a favor of white pine in a flat rate box!!  But if Douglas fir can be used, I think I may survive!!  Our Home Depot HAS Douglas Fir according to their website anyway!

Mahalo!
~ Tina

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)
Pages: [1]   Go Up