Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timothy hay cutting?  (Read 943 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Timothy hay cutting?
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »

Aloha!!

I'm looking at Timothy hay that I can have shipped to me, here in Hawai'i.  I'm seeing 1st, 2nd and 3rd cuttings of Timothy... Is there 1 cutting that's better than the others?  Are certain cuttings better in different stages of life?  ::shrug::

Attached is a photo of my new baby... She can't make the hour-long jump to my island until perhaps, September.  So I have a couple months to fine tune my setup and worry about my baby girl, Joey!

Mahalo in advance for your help!
Tina
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:53:46 PM by IkiKolohe »

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Timothy hay cutting?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »

I recommend the second cutting. The first may be too green/moist. Moist is not good for chins. The third is going to be too dry/stalky. Mine like the leafier hay. Perhaps you should connect with your breeder friend or someone who has horses that feeds timothy as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Re: Timothy hay cuttin
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:04:51 PM »

I recommend the second cutting. The first may be too green/moist. Moist is not good for chins. The third is going to be too dry/stalky. Mine like the leafier hay. Perhaps you should connect with your breeder friend or someone who has horses that feeds timothy as well.

Different islands I'm afraid... And while my island has a huge cattle ranch, our grasses and stuff grow year round so no use for hay!  I believe I'm ordering from Small Pet Select.  If they'll ship to Hawai'i for a reasonable rate anyway!!  Guess I need to find out how many pounds will fit in a large flat rate box  ::)

Mahalo!
~ Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:28 AM »

Oh well. It's part of having a chinchilla over there I suppose. I know you can get hay in 50 pound vacuum sealed compressed bails. I got one of these and I'm giving the part I can't use to a horse owner. I'm keeping a 6 month supply in mesh sacks. It is extremely important the hay will not become damp and ferment. If it starts to smell damp and turn you can give it to cattle but not chinchillas or horses.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »

Oh well. It's part of having a chinchilla over there I suppose. I know you can get hay in 50 pound vacuum sealed compressed bails. I got one of these and I'm giving the part I can't use to a horse owner. I'm keeping a 6 month supply in mesh sacks. It is extremely important the hay will not become damp and ferment. If it starts to smell damp and turn you can give it to cattle but not chinchillas or horses.

Aye, and wet hay and grain can actually combust and start fires!  We always had to wait for 3 days if it's rained on our hay before bailing it, then it was a rush to get the bales under a tarp or somewhere else where it couldn't get soaked!  Memories, though I can't really say fond!  Haying sucks!

Mahalo!
~Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)
Pages: [1]   Go Up