Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remarks about this board  (Read 1143 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Remarks about this board
« on: July 03, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »

I just want to remind everyone considering getting a chinchilla as a pet to please not think the posts you see health board represent normal chinchilla problems.
Consider the fact that if you go to a cat or dog forum you're probably going to find rather routine things. But for chinchillas routine is healthy and normal but when bad things happen they usually are pretty bad and most vets don't handle exotics so boards like this one are filled with last resort efforts.

There are a several reasons for this.
1. Most chinchillas are purchased from pet stores whose employees don't provide good advice, appropriate diets, or select pets from reputable breeders. These things combined cause a majority of things you might see here. Going in with the right diet, the right cage and environment, and obtaining your pet from a reputable breeder will reduce the risk of illness such as malocclusion, seizures, and hyperthermia.

2. Chinchillas are small, unable to cope well with injuries, and when injured it's usually very serious.
Most injuries can be prevented by thinking in advance, considering chinchillas are fast, silent, chew dangerous things like power cords, and must be handled in a secure and careful way. Accidents do happen. The most common kinds are minor cuts and scrapes that can be treated at home. The injuries you see on this board are usually serious, the owner is desperate to save the pets life, and it usually does not end well.

3. Owners are not quick to identify dangerous conditions before they become dangerous.
Monitoring your pet each day, weighing weekly, keeping mental notes of fecal output, water consumption, behavior, etc. and simply paying attention can mean the difference between a simple vet visit, and hospitalization and death. Unfortunately vet visits are not always possible on the weekend which is why I recommend having a basic first-aid kit, and syringe feeding supplies and recovery diet on hand at all times. This can potentially keep your pet alive for a day or two until you can obtain more comprehensive assistance.

4. Sadly, and something that happens quite often is that owners are desperate to save an animal that is doomed. Some pet owners will opt to euthanize while others want to keep going. I'll help as much as I can and provide advice pretty much knowing what the outcome is going to be. Please understand these exchanges don't represent usual circumstances either but they are recorded here as well.

I know of many pet owners, who own multiple chinchillas, who do not have horrible diseases or die morbid deaths. There may be the occasional diarrhea or eye infection that is treatable if detected and treated early. Yes, freak accidents and rare conditions happen to the best of us, but that goes for any animal.
I know it can look, and sometimes feel like doom and gloom here, but providing advice and documenting cases of sick and dying pets is part of what we do and does not necessarily reflect what you'll actually experience as a chinchilla owner.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:26:39 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Remarks about this board
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:52:34 AM »

Thank you Grey Rodent for posting this. Potential or new chinchilla owners also need to be aware or the joy and pleasure of owning these beautiful animals. I have seventeen chinny boys, have
lost one to teeth issues, and had to deal with minor eye infections, diarrhoea, extra care of them during hot weather plus minor cuts and scrapes. I have never been put off owning them, and if anything, caring for them through good and bad times has only served to increase my bond with all my boys.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Remarks about this board
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »

Thank you for pointing this out. Its very unfortunate how many deaths and illnesses that are preventable.

1. I have to fully agree. Go to a reputable breeder, not just one who has cute babies or the closest one to you. Take the time to research them. Do they show? Can they answer questions? Are they patient and happy to educate you? Genetics and breeding ethics will play a huge role in the number of years you have with your pet.
2. Chins being prey animals hide illness very very well. They are their own worst enemy when it comes to that. This is were being a over bearing parent who pays attention to tiny details will be a good trait. Keep a weight log, watch food intake... Dont wait till you have that emergency moment to find a vet. Have 1 or 2 lined up. Same goes for emergency funds. If you never need it great, but that 1 time you need 500 to pay for xrays... you will be glad its there.
3. Be overly cautious what you expose your chin to. Error on the side of safe. Avoid the pet store advice and stick with wod or metal products, unsure about the wood? Skip it. Dont allow contact with other pets no matter how cute it can be. Those play times are the biggest risk to your chin so simplify.
4. Routine is your friend! Owners are the ones who get bored with a simple diet, not the chin. Their gut doesnt do well on a variety of food items. If you want to spoil them, give a different type of hay or wood chew.
5.Plan ahead with your cage. Nice big cages are wonderful but they can also be a death trap. Young chins need small cages for their safety (wait on the big cage till they grow up a bit). Over lap shelves and put hammocks in strategic places to catch them if they miss (just like us they think they can do more than they can at times)

Dont be hard on yourself. Things will happen even with the best of care. Be realistic with yourself. If you make a mistake, learn from it and more on. We are here to help but often thats only when a problem pops up. Chins can and are great pets with long lifespans, but part of that is up to you to provide the care and safe environment they need.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up