Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft poop  (Read 787 times)

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Soft poop
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »

Okay so the first couple of days i had my baby chinchilla, she had normal poop. However, these past couple of days her poop has been very soft and sticking to everything. It is leaving marks on the floor. I think its because my older chinchilla drops her food and treats down the cage then the baby eats it. The breeder i got her from told me i should burn toast if this happens. I think I'm going to try to burn toast.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Soft poop
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »

I recommend getting a vet appointment ASAP. Do a fecal culture and look for parasites. Your other chinchilla may be exposed as well. This is one reason that a minimum of three weeks quarantine is recommended for new chinchillas.
Do not feed more than a 1" sized piece of toast.

Also stop feeding treats and stop feeding treats for your other chin as well until you figure out the cause. Normal food is okay but I recommend removing the pellets and feeding straight hay for a few days.

That is my recommendation.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »

Im not sure if i can get a vet appointment. Would this be expensive?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »

Expense is relative. I'd expect it to cost around $80-90. You need to find a vet that actually has experience with chinchillas if possible. Guinea pigs and rabbits at the very least. Cat and dog vets will usually not even see them. Initial visits are usually a little more expensive.

What they'll do is look at the feces under a microscope and try to make a diagnosis.
Can you tell me more about your chinchilla's diet? What kind of food is it getting, and what kind of pelleted diet, brand, type, etc? Treats that it has had and how much? That can be useful.

With digestive problems it's better to diagnose and treat as early as possible. Even a day or two can have a significant health impact. Also obtain syringe feeding supplies and a recovery diet such as critical care or lifeline. Monitor food intake carefully. Chinchillas are prone to GI-stasis where they stop eating and pooping. This can lead to fatal complications. If he stops eating you need to be prepared to hand feed. It's good to have supplies on hand regardless, especially since you have two chins. Weigh your chinchilla about once every three days to verify everything is okay and consult a vet. Normally they should be weighed about once a week so you know their healthy weight. Typically you will see noticeable weight increases the first four months after birth.

I did have a pet that presented with these symptoms once. It was diagnosed with coccidiosis. The count of coccidia spores was low and the vet wasn't sure it was significant but he responded to treatment after three days. The course of meds I think was ten days. After that I replaced all of the shelving and flooring in the cage to prevent reinfection. I have not had any issues since. But also my chinchilla had a very good diet, was not given treats, and was not stressed from relocation. Other types of parasites and problems can also cause soft stool. To be on the safe side I recommend getting a diagnosis by someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up