Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I help the remaining chin cope with the loss of his brother?  (Read 1093 times)

Lb12star

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One currently
    • View Profile

I've had Bebop and Beastie for 7 years.  Last night little Beastie died, quite unexpectedly.  Looking back over the last week, he was less robust & more tired than usual, not taking treats he usually snatched right up.  Bebop was very attentive to his brother, always cuddling with and grooming him.  How do I help him to cope with the loss?  I've let him out several times to run & play which he will do awhile, but his peeping noises and searching for his brother seem very sad.  They always played together before & I was rather incidental to that play time.  How can I best fill that void?   Does anyone have any games or ideas that I could do with him?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton

Chinchillas can usually deal with this quite well and you shouldn't expect to have any problems. After a day or two his behavior should start going back to normal. Giving him attention is a good thing but he is going to have to adjust to the fact the other pet is gone before he stops calling him.

I would weigh him today though and make sure he is eating and drinking normally. Sometimes these events can cause a lot of stress and you should be watching for anorexia. Just make sure his fecal output stays normal. Like I said you shouldn't expect to have problems. Usually this is only applicable to breeding pairs but in the off chance it happens you need to be there to treat it.

When a chinchilla dies unexpectedly it's good to search for potential causes, especially since you have another one. A vet exam on the surviving chin may be wise just to make sure he hasn't contracted anything if the cause of death was contagious.

I advise all pet owners to regularly weigh pets. Sometimes observing an unexplained weight loss is the only way to catch sickness early. Look for variations 10% or higher off the baseline. A veterinarian can confirm if your pet is at a healthy weight.

Unfortunately one of the most common culprits of chinchilla death is dental malocclusion which is a terminal disease. It can be caused by improper selective breeding practices although it can also be caused by improper diet.

I recommend finding out everything you can to ensure your current pet has a proper diet, an environment free of hazards that can cause bowel obstructions, and that your temperature ranges are safe. If you choose to get another chin please understand that not all chinchillas are compatible with each other so be prepared to house it separately and permanently if introduction doesn't work out. In your situation I recommend a three week quarantine for your current chin before bringing in a new one and an additional quarantine period for any new chin to ensure they are free of contagious illnesses.

Chinchillas usually prefer solitude. I have two myself who will groom each other and cuddle but for the most part are indifferent to each other and I feel they will be a danger to each other if left unattended.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's never a good time when a pet dies. I hope everything works out.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins

GrayRodent has given some very good advice. You can also try giving him a stuffed animal to cuddle with so he doesnt feel alone. Monitoring your chin is a very important thing since you are unsure of the cause of death. Contagious things will show within 30 days. So make sure you mark down that date for your records.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Lb12star

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One currently
    • View Profile

Thank you for taking the time to answer!  My heart is so heavy, it seems like Bebop  (the remaining chin) is doing better than I am with the loss of his brother Beastie.  I like the idea of giving him a stuffed animal to cuddle with.  I will try that.  Thanks for the practical advice about weighing him and watching his output, etc.  I would not have thought to do that otherwise.  I am learning so much from this group in the couple of days since I joined. I wish I'd found you all years ago!
Pages: [1]   Go Up