Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeding questions  (Read 1048 times)

Lb12star

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One currently
    • View Profile
Feeding questions
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »

After reading lots of questions and answers on this forum, it's made me wonder about some of the things I give to my chins to eat.
I had been giving them the plain pellets and Timothy hay for the first few years, with an occasional almond or raisin for a treat.  I read somewhere that the nuts should be given only in very small quantities, and the same with sugary treat s or fruits, so I cut way, way back on the almonds and raisins.  Looking for other options at the pet store, they had little yogurt covered dandelion treats I bought that the chins really liked.  After buying them a few times I took a look at the list of ingredients and sugar was the first item.  I called the company to ask why they would do that, and they didn't really have a good answer, so I stopped buying them.  I started picking fresh dandelion leaves to give to them instead.  I don't use any chemicals in my yard, so I know they are safe that way, but I just read in another part of the forum that green (fresh) foods may not be healthy for them?  I also started drying dandelion leaves last summer, and had enough to give my guys each a couple of dried leaves every day.  They LOVE them, so I hope they're healthy!

I also give them dried branches from apple trees I trim for neighbors, they love to eat the bark.  I've used thicker pieces of a branch to put into corners of the cage bars for my guys to perch on.

Lastly, I have used a scoopable cat litter that is made from wheat enzymes (Swheat Scoop is the brand name, made here in Minnesota). It is biodegradable & chemical-free and neutralizes odors naturally.  I put the used litter in my compost bin with my coffee grounds, fruit and veggie peels, leaves & grass clippings, etc.  It decomposes into a rich compost that I can use to amend my garden soil or potting mixes with.  I have the entire bottom of their cage covered an inch or two deep with it, and scoop it every day or so.  No odors whatsoever!  Would someone please tell me if they think any of my ideas could be harmful in some way I've not considered?

If drying the dandelion leaves is okay or actually good, what about other plants from the yard (all grown organically, of course)?  Curly mint?  Clover leaves or flowers?
What about apple cores or seeds, or little pieces of banana?  Trader Joe's sells dehydrated apple rings that don't have any sugar added, they're still chewy though, not completely dry...

Sorry this is so very long but one last food question:  I've been giving them a VitaNature "natural chinchilla formula" (from Vitakraft) that says it's a Balanced High Forage Diet for All Life Stages.  They do seem to really like it, but don't bother much with the timothy hay anymore.  Is that a problem?

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Feeding questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »

Good for you to take the time to learn about caring for your chin. Im going to offer some advice so please understand im trying to help.

You are correct that yogurt treats, raisins and nuts are not good for chins and should not be given. Basically companies dont care whats safe. They will sell anything that makes them money. They also should not have any fruits or veggies. They are naturally high in sugars which can lead to a lot of health issues.

Apple branches are great for chins and they love them. Be sure to scrub and bake them before giving them to your chin. This kills and bacteria or parasites that may be on the wood.

Dandelion can be given but it should be given in limited quantities. It is a natural diuretic so if given to often can cause issues (like any herb). There are quite a few safe herbs that can be given (also in moderation). Mint and chamomile are very popular.  Any herb should be dried before you give it.

The bedding is not safe. I personally am not familiar with the brand so i looked it up. Cat litter that clumps is known to cause blockages in cats and other small animals if the pet eats it. Often this happens by accident when the pet cleans its feet. If its clay based I wouldnt advise it either. You want a plain wood chip bedding. Pine and aspen are both safe and work great for odor control. Dont use cedar, as chins are allergic to it.

Vita kraft is a very low quality food. Its fine if thats all you can find but its definitely not my first pick. Mazuri, hubbard life, oxbow, purina rabbit show, blue seal rabbit, manna pro sho or pro formula and many others are much better quality and nutrient values. Often they are easier to find at a local feed mill or farm store.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help!
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:11:52 AM »

As correctly stated above, please do not feed your chinchillas any fresh fruit, veg or any sugary treats. Mine love various dried herbs in small quantities, Apple leaves and sticks and bite sized shredded wheat with nothing added. Norfolk oats and alfalfa occasionally are also good.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »

I also recommend kiln dried pine or aspen chip bedding. Absorbent or paper bedding is known to cause intestinal blockages as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up