Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pellet food in uk  (Read 710 times)

prince_medion

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
pellet food in uk
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have yet to acquire a chinchilla although I already have a critter nation cage and I'm slowly building and preparing for getting a chin.

Although I need some opinion and advice on choosing the bests pellet foods and after some looking around to what's available in my local area and research I am stuck between 3:

- http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-chinchilla/
- http://shop.burgesspetcare.com/chinchilla/food/Excel-Adult-Chinchilla-Nuggets-with-Mint/20
- https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/meadow-menu-chinchillas-degu.html

Personnaly, I have never used any science selective before but have always trusted burgess and rosewood naturals for dwarf hamsters. I also like the fact that burgess is the highest fibre with 30% and naturals is 20% and contain no grains, only various grasses, herbs, flowers and roots.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:53:50 AM by prince_medion »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: pellet food in uk
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »

I wish I could tell you what is best. I hope someone else will comment soon. I can give you some guidelines:
Pelleted diet should be alfalfa based. Chinchillas should be fed a bland diet. They should not be fed hamster, rabbit, or guinea pig diets. Some rabbit diets can be an exception.
Grit is okay.
Soy as a filler is okay.
Grains are okay but the less there is the better.
Fiber is good.
Fruits, nuts, seeds, and vegetables can be quite harmful and should not be in chinchilla pellets.
Molasses is a common binder but the less sugars the better.
Vitamin supplements are expected with pelleted diets but excessive vitamins or minerals are not good.
Herbs, flowers, roots, I think are unnecessary and don't really help anything. I can't say they hurt anything if present in small amounts.
You want to find the best fit for the above criteria. And always feed loose hay in addition to pellets.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: pellet food in uk
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »

Beaphar Care Plus pellets are an excellent choice for chinchillas. They contain no GM ingredients, and all sixteen of my chins have been raised on them. I'm based in the UK and purchase mine from John Hopewell who is based in Rotherham in Yorkshire. Just Google him and check out his web site. The Dust Free Hay Company sells some fantastic Timothy hay as a staple, which I use daily, and some lovely meadow hay which I give as a treat hay. Again, just Google, and check out the site. You can pm me if you need any further help.
Hope this helps.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up