Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins chasing/barking. Help!?  (Read 1037 times)

littlewomann

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chins chasing/barking. Help!?
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »

I have two male chinchillas, they are about 9 months old and brothers and in the past 2 weeks and currently, at night they tend to chase each other around the cage constantly.
I have a mosaic one and a standard grey one and the white one chases the standard and pulls his fur (sometimes) and the grey tends to go and hide in a corner or something and sometimes just barks. Sometimes i separate them (just put the mosaic in the top tier and let the standard have the 1st and 2nd tier - since i don't have another cage)  :'(

Do you have any suggestions or advice ? I could really do with some.  :(

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chins chasing/barking. Help!?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »

I hate to say this but separation is advised. Hair pulling is a last resort before blood is drawn. What kind of cage do you have? My cage provides a decent separation for two chins. Yours may be okay to do that with. What are its dimensions?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

littlewomann

• View Profile

littlewomann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »

It's just really weird... Sometimes they're lovely together, they'll cuddle up together and curl around each other when they're sleeping or relaxing, they'll eat together, groom each other. It's just now and then at night they tend to chase each other around the cage really fast which will end up in the standard trying to hide in a corner or somewhere.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:47:30 AM »

I have two chins myself and I got them expecting to be able to combine them. It turns out they just weren't compatible. They have since calmed down a lot and I let them interact on supervised terms since they will groom each other. One of them is more enthusiastic than the other and tries to get into the top level but when he's done he clings to the bars wanting back out. So they have an interesting relationship.

Some chinchillas can be bonded well and just turn on each other out of the blue for no apparent reason. It's not common but it does happen. I hear of stories where one or both gets seriously or mortally wounded in a fight and the owner tells me they were not getting along for a time and wished the chins had been separated before that happened. Chinchillas can get into a tussle and chase each other occasion but fur pulling should be treated as a serious offense. Of course they are most active at night and that is when the trouble usually occurs. It is a judgment call as to how you wish to handle it.

Your cage is very similar to mine except I have a double level ferret nation with slightly different dimensions. Mine has 60cm high levels and they are plenty of room for one chin. I don't think you'll have any problems. I recommend having an exercise wheel in both sections, or at least the smallest section. (a 14" wheel with a solid running surface.)
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »

Its best to separate and keep them apart. At 9 months old they are going through puberty and its not uncommon for fights to happen at this age.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up