Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin Malo?  (Read 924 times)

RigzBandz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin Malo?
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »

I've previously posted regarding my Chinchilla Jed as he has had 2 operations due to dental issues and I'd like a 2nd opinion regarding this. To begin with I've started to believe that Jed is older than we thought, as his previous owner has now confirmed he believed Jed to be older. Now his teeth are getting worse as is his eye (half closed and wet) and he is drooling worse than ever. I have him booked in for an X-ray for this wed but I need to know if I'm putting him through unnecessary suffering? I adore him as he is my first chin and I've really bonded with him :-( thank you for your responses in advance.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chin Malo?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »

I am very sorry to hear that and I really feel for you. I hope you'll consider this advice carefully.

My opinion is to euthanize. I never recommend such things lightly but I've seen more cases like this than I can count. The best you can hope for is that the xray will show you a spur that may have been missed but you will still be facing a progressive and terminal problem that will get harder to take care of towards the end. It can also give you an idea of what is going on with the eyes and if a root has penetrated the eye socket which is very common with advanced malocclusion.

If the vet has confirmed the teeth are overgrown and has trimmed them twice you can be confident that it is malocclusion. It also proves that regular trimming in your case is not effective. For some chins it can buy some time success is rare. I think you're better off using the funds to obtain a chinchilla from a reputable breeder. Malocclusion is often caused by genetic defects that are propagated through lines that where the breeders have not taken care to remove maloccluders. Sometimes nutrition can be a factor. If you got your chin from a breeder please consult with them before doing anything. If they are reputable they will be interested in your case.

Also assess your diet. Your chinchilla should be getting high quality alfalfa-based pelleted diet (not those crazy mixtures with fruits seeds and nuts in them) plus a constant supply of loose hay to keep their teeth properly trimmed.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up