Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triplets  (Read 1527 times)

Zibby

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 5
    • View Profile
Triplets
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:25:54 PM »

My female about 6-7 yrs old just had triplets, last summer we got a "fixed" male and properly introduced, she bear him up after being together awhile so we separated them, thought a possible pregnancy and we were right. There days ago Poof had three babies, I sexed then, I think and I have alil boy and two girls.  One send quite a bit smaller and I am worried it's not getting enough milk.. Should I worry? I see all of them feeding but it is still a concern.  What does everyone suggest? Leave then alone or try to help by supplementing... And what.. I've heard and read goat milk.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  I do not plan to ever key this happen again, as I wish to just have my fur babies and not be a breeder. Thanks in advance

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Triplets
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:54 AM »

How old are your kits? You'll need to weigh them. Please provide the weight. With that information we can help you determine if any of them is underweight,
Disclaimer: I am not a breeder or licensed vet. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any advice given here. If you have any doubts please see a veterinarian, especially one that knows chinchillas. I may be able to help you find a breeder in your area that may be able to get advice from.

Before feeding your kits you really need to know what you are doing, how to properly measure the feeding, and certainly use the right formula. Over or underfeeding can be fatal to chinchilla.
You must have an appropriate cage. Bar spacing can be no greater than 1/2" x 1/2" or the kit can escape. This is common and often fatal.
Best practice is to separate the male from the female and put him in a separate cage.
Make sure the female and kits are on one level. Do not have shelving in the cage. Use alfalfa hay as your loose hay while the kits are nursing. You may want to talk to your vet about feeding calcium supplement and obtaining an appropriate source of calcium. Calcium is extremely important at this time.

Chinchillas wean at about 6-8 weeks. After that time they should be considered to be sexually mature and males must be separated from females.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Triplets
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:20 AM »

Don't supplement the kits unless they are not gaining. Do you have a scale that your can weigh them? Pick the same time each day. If they are losing or don't gain after 3 days then it's time to step in and help. Make sure the male is separated. Females can breed the day they give birth. Is your cage baby proof? Small bar spacing, no ledges or houses? You don't want the female to be able to get away from the kits.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up