Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poorly Chinchilla, lethargic and soft stools/yellow mucus/not eating/drinking  (Read 1353 times)

chelsealoulou

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

Hello all,
Just wanted some health advice about my very poorly chin!
Terry is 10 years old and has been in good health, i got him out Monday evening as usual and i noticed he was abit "wobbly" he would try and jump and miss etc.
he then was very slow and went into his sand box and sort of collapsed, like he had gone into a deep sleep.
He then roused and hopped about grogily then went back into his cage, where he sort of collapsed again in his hammock, not really responding!
Got him out (he let me pick him up, unheard of!)  and spoke to emergency vet who said keep him warm and safe until the morning
i checked him over and noticed he has poo sort of clumped on his bum, like it was very soft, i noticed that he hadn't pooed in his cage at all (which as you are aware us also unheard of)
I kept him in a carrier overnight, and fed him critical care with a syringe as i had this left over from another poorly chin (i had lost a year before from a chest infection) he does not want to eat or drink (he sniffed at his water bottle that it)
Took him to vet who said he probably has a virus and to continue with critical care.

My question is today when i checked him, i noticed that along with a small amount of soft poo pellets stuck to his botom, there is also a yellow thick mucus coming out of his anus.
he is still very lethagic, sleeping all the time and when i get him out to feed him with syringe he will hop about a little bit then hunch in a corner and sleep, should i take him back? the vet i saw is back tomorow so i was going to call.
Also where i have been feeding him critical care/water, it has matted near his mouth whats the best way to clean him? i know water is best kept away from chins

You help would be appreciated want to try everything i can to make him better.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton

I'm so sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your pet. 10 years is a good long life for a chinchilla. Please don't be too disappointed if he doesn't make it through this. As you might know these are very serious symptoms and heroic measures at this age and condition are not always appropriate. Usually chinchillas in a condition such as what you describe have a very poor prognosis.

If you wish to save him I think you need to see another vet because I personally don't find the diagnosis of a viral infection acceptable. Viral infections are very rare in chins. I think he has been anorexic for some time considering there is no fecal output. There is usually an underlying cause. If it's parasites that's curable. If it's dental problems or a bowel obstruction that is not curable. If it's a respiratory infection you need antibiotics immediately.

I recommend cleaning with a damp rag. If it's clumped onto the fur and it won't come off with a damp rag you can try to comb it out very gently. Don't get him soaking wet. Water causes clumping in the fur and can cause fungal growth if it's regularly soaked but the biggest danger for a sick animal is causing temperature shock. Use only what you need.
Typically you're going to have some mess and clumping with syringe feeding. As long as you wipe him down after each feeding you should be fine.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chelsealoulou

• View Profile

thanks for replying so quickly! yes i may need to take him back, he was eating fine before Monday and bouncey as usual.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton

How long have you noticed abnormal fecal output?
These are things to check:
1. Food must be free of moisture and not molded.
2. Fruits and vegetables should never be given to chins but people do this. Diet should be restricted to loose hay and hay-based pellets.
3. Plastic can cause bowel obstructions but plastic items for chinchillas are commonly sold. Plastic items heavily damaged from chewing should be considered suspect. Paper bedding can be suspect for this. Some bowel obstructions can pass but usually they are fatal.
4. Check water and make sure it is dispensing properly. Waterers are prone to failure.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chelsealoulou

• View Profile

Always fresh pellets and he has dried flowers etc
Never give him fresh veg and fruit
He does come out so could of picked something up but I do watch, but no plastic in cage
Bought a new water bottle as old one was abit old, but he just sniffs at it
Only noticed the problem with his loop on Monday
Noticed today the yellow mucous was very congeled around his bum and a little matted poop

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton

Mucous can indicate a bacterial or parasitic infection. Something is very wrong in the intestine. I think you really need to get a stool culture and I think you need to find a vet that has experience specifically with chinchillas or rodents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up