Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla Introduced to Old Chinchilla  (Read 674 times)

jebrown6

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla Introduced to Old Chinchilla
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »

I just got a new 2 month old, well socialized chinchilla to introduce to my 4 year old chinchilla that I have had for about a year. I wanted him to have a buddy since I am not around as much as I would like to be. I have had the new chinchilla for four days now and Sid (the older chinchilla) has been aggressive not only towards the new chinchilla, but also towards me (ie spraying urine, which he has NEVER done before). Is this normal? And any advice for introducing them? I have their cages next to each other and the new chinchilla is pretty chill and occasionally seems curious about Sid but Sid seems obsessed with the new chinchilla and will start biting at the bars of his cage if he gets close. Any chance of them becoming friends if I introduce them slowly?

NOTE: Sid had some issues with chinchillas in the past (his mom chewed off his arm when he was young, and at the last place he lived chinchillas tended to fight with him and pee on him), and he may have had some owner neglect but he has been doing great with me this past year.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New Chinchilla Introduced to Old Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »

Are you sure the one who is spraying is really a male? This is a female trait. Males can dribble (although rarely) but cannot spray. It's not unusual for people who don't know chinchillas to think females are males. Females have a urethral cone but males can extend their parts out over two inches. If you post a picture of your pet's underside we can help you sex it. Females have a noticeably smaller anogenital distance. If I were you I'd be darn sure before I let them back together and if they have been together you may want to prepare yourself for a potential pregnancy if you find you have a pair. Chinchilla gestation is about 111 days and they are not always selective of who they mate with. And I absolutely do not condone breeding of any pet chinchillas.

I do recommend slow introduction over weeks, maybe months. Just have them in the same room together and keep their cages spaced at least 2 inches apart. After a week or so you can try dust bathing them together. Not all introductions are successful and chinchillas can turn on each other at any time and unexpectedly even after they are bonded. I do think there is a chance. Typically most people do succeed.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jebrown6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

Yes I actually had the same concern about him maybe being a female. I was told he was male by the chinchilla rescuer I got him from, but I am going to check tonight with my roommate who has experience in sexing small animals. As cute as they are, I do not want any chinchilla babies.

Thank you!

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »

One of my male chins has sprayed before, and I am 100 % positive he is male. He sprayed and left a spray line on the carpet.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »

Awesome. Better safe than sorry.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up