Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of wood can i use.  (Read 598 times)

Tuin

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
What kind of wood can i use.
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »

Hello there again,

Max his new cage came with plastic shelves. I want to have everything from wood.
I tried to find some information on what kind of wood i can use but its really confusing reading different oppinions.

What type of wood is save that i can buy in my local shop? I have douglas planks laying in the garage. They are untreated. Are they save?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: What kind of wood can i use.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »

I recommend anything that says "white pine" which is an industry standard for chinchillas. Most people use white pine including myself as it's cheap and fairly easy to find. Aspen is a good choice as well. These are proven safe woods. Outside of this I'm personally not as sure. One of the issues you're having is that "safe wood" is somewhat subjective and there's not a lot of science around it regarding chinchillas specifically. I would certainly avoid wood that is high in oil or sap such as cedar. I know people have used douglas fir wood successfully in the past with no problems.

Hope this helps.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up