Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearing problem  (Read 969 times)

vali

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hearing problem
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

Is there anyway for me to tell if my chinchilla has hearing problems ? We have two girls chins and they don't quite get along, but the issue is that one of them suddenly jumps on her exercise wheel every time we get in the room the're located. And every time we call her by her name she kind of raises her head up like she does not hear right?  Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Hearing problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:20:27 AM »

If she responds to your voice by raising her head she is hearing. She is anticipating that you're going to come to the cage which I think is really neat.
Sometimes my chinchillas jump on their wheels too when I come up to cage and open the door. I think it is because they are excited that you're there and they'll also jump from shelf to shelf. This is all normal chinchilla behavior. Sounds like you have some really nice pets.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

vali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:50 PM »

Thank you for your answer. Indeed we own two beatuiful girl chins, however they don't get along with each other at all. We have them since last year. Do you think the best option is to put their cages side by side or is better to put them in the same cage ? Someone told me that the best option is to put both of them in the same cage, despite of what I've been hearing and reading.  Again thx for your reply.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »

My opinion is if they are constantly bothering each other they are better off separate. If they are pulling hair out it is dangerous for them to be together and is considered to be the last step before biting and bleeding. Chinchillas can turn on each other and even kill each other in certain circumstances sometimes without warning or apparent cause even if they are well bonded though it is rare. Usually it will noticeably escalate before it gets to that point but I've seen some crazy things happen here on the boards.

Breeders of chinchillas typically state that chinchillas generally prefer solitude. In my experience I have found this to be true but there are exceptions. You really can't go wrong separating them.

It is your call.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

vali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »

I understand, thank you for your answer. I did think that they are better separate however we would like for them to get along, but will not force them to do so. If they do not get along that's it and maybe someday they will. Thanks again for your reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up