Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins Fighting  (Read 776 times)

Herbert

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chins Fighting
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:37:33 AM »

Hi,

Recently my chins have been fighting with each other, so I have since separated them for a couple nights and let them out together for play time last night, they were fine for a bit then got into it again. Before I separated them when they first started fighting they would always cuddle when they were sleeping during the day.  They have a huge cage but never stay out of each others way.  I put them back in separate cages last night after playtime, however, they freak out that they are not together and sit by each other in the different cages.  Does anyone know what this means? They fight but they can't stand being away from each other is that normal? Will they ever get along, no blood has been drawn from either, just noises, mounting and lots of fur tuffs being pulled out.  They are both male ages 2 and a half and 2. 

What age do chins hit puberty?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chins Fighting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:11:35 AM »

From what I understand if they are pulling hair they should be separated. My two chins went through a similar thing so they live separately now. I allow them to mingle as long as they are supervised and behaving but the next stage after hair pulling is biting and breaking skin which is very dangerous. I don't trust them to live together anymore.

It will take a couple of weeks for them to get accustomed to their new accommodations but they'll be fine.

Most chinchillas hit puberty at about 3-4 months. They stop growing after about 1 year but mutation colors may be closer to two.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 06:58:20 AM »

Does anyone have experience in chins working it out? Could this just be a phase?  I don't understand why they would always cuddle together if they hate each other.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »

I have two four year old male chins housed together, a small ebony and a large ebony white. The little ebony male will periodically have a go at his gage mate with fur pulling and lots of kacking. A couple of hours separation in different levels of their cage is enough to halt this behaviour in its tracks for several months. That said, some chins need to be permanently separated for their mutual safety.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up