Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie from Georgia, USA  (Read 2031 times)

Kreed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Newbie from Georgia, USA
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »

Hey Yall,
I recently purchased two chinchillas for my family (two kids and me). My daughter is nearly 12, Son is nearly 15. We've had hamsters and a guinea pig before and Ive had many animals from growing up on a farm. My daughter loves small pets. When her guinea pig passed away I started looking for small pets with longer life spans and decided on Chinchillas. I bought two that were already sharing a cage in Petsmart. I had tried to buy some from individuals online but it didn't work out. I looked for rescued ones as well before resorting to Petsmart. Honestly I figure we may have rescued them anyway lol. I had been reading different forums including here for a while to learn about them before actually getting them. I purchased what I consider a small/medium cage and plan to build one thats higher later. We have had them for two weeks now and I'm surprised at how much they have warmed up to us in that time. I'm very glad we brought them home! Btw, Cooter (named by my son) is light gray with white belly, Gus (named by my daughter) is darker gray that's nearly black especially on his spine but some white underneath. It's amazing  how different their personalities are.

I need some advice please. The cage I got has a metal wire floor and a plastic pan sub-floor. I removed the wire one when I first cleaned it because the paper based bedding I put down clogs up the grating. Is the bedding necessary? I've read where people prefer having felt over the wire grating. I purchased some felt but wanted to ask people who know more than I do before putting it on the flooring. Any advice is appreciated. I've got enough felt to make several coverings. How often should I change it if I go that route? Or is that a variable to be determined by the animals? Should I leave a part of it uncovered?

Thanks yall :),
Kevin & Kids

I

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Newbie from Georgia, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »

Congrats on your new pets. You've come to a place where there are a lot of good connections. Feel free to ask anything.

Sounds like we have some similar backgrounds. I also live in GA, learned a lot from farm animals, fell in love with rats as opposed to guinea pigs, and decided chinchillas had better life expediencies which was a big selling point for me. When I began researching them I really fell in love.

If you would have asked I could have given you some contacts for breeders that aren't extremely close to central GA but they're accessible. One of my pets is from Augusta, GA because his breeding stock from a friend of mine in SC. The other is from TN who is known for his white mutation chinchillas. His breeder makes frequent trips to Atlanta so we were able to meet him.

If your chinchilla does end up with congenital problems please don't let that discourage you from owning chinchillas. These problems are pretty rare with chins from reputable breeders. I wouldn't expect yours to have problems but breeding practices can make a big difference. The biggest thing to watch out for is tooth problems. If those develop don't let them drain your resources as they are rarely ever curable. My first chin was a rescue chin who came from a pet store in Woodstock. He had problems but he wasn't properly cared for by his previous owner and only lived for about two years. I've had Kulu for about 5 years now and he's very healthy. He did have to be treated for coccidiosis when he was a kit but there have been no problems since.

If you have a wire floor don't worry about bedding. As long as your pets can't reach the plastic you're good. In my cage I actually use puppy training pads. Of course under no circumstances should your chins be able to reach that but it's really convenient.
You do need to have wooden shelving in your cage especially with a wire floor. I see no reason to use felt.

If you use fleece lining for a solid metal floor there are people who have done this successfully but it does carry some risks and that depends on if your chins chew the lining. If you find either one does you can no longer use it. Urine can cause skin problems as well and they must be well maintained. I think your'e better off with a bare wire floor, something underneath to absorb the urine, and wood shelving in the cage for him to rest on, which really is mandatory for any chinchilla cage. If you have questions on how to build these just ask. It's in our reference section as well.

Your dark colored chinchilla is probably a standard grey and the lighter one may have a mutation color in him.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Kreed

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:33:39 PM »

Thank you, GrayRodent,
I figured we had similar backgrounds from other posts I've read that you authored. I'm actually in NE GA. Closer to both Carolinas and Tennessee than I am to Atlanta. So am I right in understanding that I don't need anything on top of the wire grating? The shelves are metal in my current cage. I have some old (6 years sitting in my closet) shelving that's untreated. I'm not sure if it's pine or cedar but pretty sure it's cedar. Should I cut it to lay over the metal shelves for now? I'm going to build a larger habitat later, not huge, but will make it with multiple layers of shelving because these boys love to jump! I'm wishing I'd gotten into this before my Grandpa passed away, he would have gotten a kick out of them.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

That is correct that you don't need to cover the floor with anything. The healthiest thing for your chinchillas is a regular wire floor over their toilet area.

I don't think cedar is considered to be a safe material. It has too much sap in it which can be harmful to their respiratory system. I recommend using plain untreated white pine board. I think solid metal shelves are okay. Metal wire shelving should NEVER be used and if that's what you have remove them immediately. Ideally wood shelving should be used because they get to chew the edges of it.

In my cage I have at least two shelves for each chin. I also have granite and marble slabs on the floor to give them some variety and cool surfaces to lay on. One of my chins prefers the wood and the other prefers the marble.

At one point I did have my two level ferret nation cage undivided with four layers of shelving. I had to split the cage in half because the chins became aggressive towards each other. In the undivided mode they had a lot of room to jump from shelf to shelf but I was slightly concerned because there was also room to fall some distance to the floor if there was a fight or if one missed the shelf. It never did occur though but perhaps you should arrange the shelves to minimize this risk in your design.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up