Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blanket for comfort pros and cons?  (Read 1101 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Blanket for comfort pros and cons?
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »

Hey guys, now that the weather is (finally) getting pretty cold, I was curious if there was anything I should do to keep my chin comfortable.  He has moved his house (where he sleeps) off of the chin chiller that I had previously placed under it, which means that he does not like the additional cold from the chiller in this weather.  I have heard of people laying down a blanket for their chin to snuggle up with, however I have also heard that blankets can be dangerous to the chin (I believe because they attribute to fur rings or something like that).  I was curious if I could get your input on this matter, for I want my chin to be more comfortable but I obviously do not want to harm him at the same time.  Thank you!

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Blanket for comfort pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:40:08 AM »

As far as cold goes you don't have anything to worry about as long as it isn't freezing. I prefer to keep the room my chins are in at 60 - 63 degrees. That doesn't happen in the summer unfortunately but they have never had any issues during the colder months. Their fur is extremely dense. I use fleeces instead of bedding in my cages and my youngest chin does like to burrow under it.

If you're going to put a blanket in the chinchilla will probably sit on it but also pee on it. Keep a close eye that the blanket isn't being chewed/ingested.

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »

I have fleece hanging houses in my cages, and fleece for the bottom of the cage to protect their wee feet. When 2 of mine are snuggles in their fleece house they are quite comfortably toasty. However I'm sure a blanket could be iffy if it has stuffing inside it and chinchillas do eat anything and everything however mine seem to not eat or bother with the fleece. I would suggest anti-pill fleece and to continuously monitor it for chewing or nibble marks!

Hope that helps!
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

Fleece is the only safe thing to put in the cage for a chin to snuggle with. Blankets have threads and stuffing which can cause issues if eaten. Chins actually handle cold temps well, even down to freezing. My chin room is 54 right now and they love it
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up