Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have a problem  (Read 1194 times)

Molochop

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
Have a problem
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »

Hello all
I have a bit of a problem. The male chinchilla I had since August is actually a female, I can feel the nipples under her fur and her genitals looks
exactly like a female chinchilla ( I have not yet had a professional opinion on it yet)  only trouble is she is with two other male chinchillas and I am concerned that they will start fighting. They are ok at the moment though and get a long really well. I understand that mating season is during the summer time during the year? Will the fighting happen during mating season or can it happen at any time? Should I get her sex checked by a professional?
Regards

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Have a problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »

I think it would be wise to have a vet exam. If the distance between the genitals and anus is noticeably shorter than the other two you know are male I fully expect your chinchilla is not only a female but is likely pregnant because you're feeling those nipples.

I recommend handling her as if she is pregnant which means apply no pressure to her abdominal area. When transferring her understand she is very fragile and pressure on the uterus or accidents can have lethal results. I recommend a vet exam and an assessment of the pelvic distance as well to make sure she can deliver kits safely if she is is a pregnant female and obtain calcium supplements from your vet as well. If she is a she I think it's pretty safe to assume she is. Normal gestation is 111 days so wait it out and see what happens.

The best thing to do in this case (if confirmed) is to keep the males in a separate cage in a separate room. If she is pregnant she likely will not go into heat until after delivery and that can be at any time. This condition (breed-back) is not good for chinchillas as it can result in a new pregnancy right after the first. If she is less than 12 months old there is a higher risk of complications. If you're expecting kits you'll want a baby safe cage the appropriate dimensions and bar spacing for kits as they easily escape normal cages and usually end up dying when that happens. Having males around on the day of delivery is not advisable as kits are often killed during breeding.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:20:37 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Molochop

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on her and take her to the vets ASAP for a check up so I can prepare myself if she is. It's all kind of unexpected and I don't have experience
but I'm sure the vet will tell me what to do

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »

You can always ask questions here. I have some good connections too. If you find out your chin is pregnant just let me know and I'll shoot you some links.

I recommend this book as well: http://www.amazon.com/Chinchillas-pets-profession-Jamie-Huggins/dp/1452856796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454706519&sr=8-1&keywords=chinchillas+profession

Perhaps you can find a local chinchilla breeder and look into obtaining a cage. You'll want a cage with 1/2" x 1/2" bar spacing. (Although 3/4" will work) It shouldn't be more than 18" high and shelving should not be used in the cage until the kit is weaned.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »

Do you have a cage to separate her? You can keep her in the same room as your males but they cant be in the same cage. Her cage needs bars 1/2 inch or smaller and no taller than 18 inches. No ledges, shelves or huts. Mark 111 days from when you separate her as her last possible due date. You can post pics of their genitals and we can help sex them for you
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up