Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me!! I'm a new chinchilla owner  (Read 2430 times)

TrinaKat

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
Please help me!! I'm a new chinchilla owner
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

I just brought my chinchilla home on Monday, and I know they are shy at first but he has saw me for at least 1-3 times a week for the last three months before I took him home. I have done a ton of research but I'm still really worried. (maybe for nothing) for the most part I have left him in my room alone so he could get comfortable except for when I go to bed. But he keeps using the alarm call, like today when I tried to give him a treat. He also seems to barely move, I'm worried the stress of moving is making him depressed. is he okay? I just want to make sure I'm doing enough to make him happy!

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me!! I'm a new chinchilla owner
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:21:46 AM »

Congratulations on your new Furball. Firstly, try not to worry too much. Your chin will naturally be a little stressed due to new surroundings and the alarm sound being made is normal. Every chinchilla is different, so it's just a matter of time, and letting your chin find his own level. You might like to monitor food and water intake, plus pooping and peeing as these are the best indicators of your chins health. Sitting quietly by the cage and chatting to your Furball may also help. Enjoy your chinchilla  :).
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

NatalieP86

• Appreciation points: 8
  • # of Chins: 3
  • Furmummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:06:17 AM »

Hello
Congrats on your new chin he is gorgeous!
Like flint said don't worry it's all new to him so he will bark and mine bark all the time not out of fear just wanting to chat so he could just be a chatty chin. The most important thing is that he is eating and drinking and his poops are normal. Whenever I have brought a new chin home I leave them that day to settled in then usually pop them on the bed with me for 15 minutes at a time give them time to sniff and nibble me so they get used to me. I also spent time next their cages chatting to them or just sitting quietly so they get used to me when they are in their own surroundings.
Give him time it's all new to him, he will get used to it. Enjoy him!
Xx
Mummy to:
Chins Buzz aged 8 hetero beige and Valentina aged 13 standard gray.
Rusty the rabbit aged 9.
Alexei aged 7 hetero ebony passed away 24 November 2015. My baby.

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:25:19 AM »

I have several very chatty chinchillas, especially Ziggy, my dark ebony four year old boy. He's just recovered from depression/stress and was refusing to feed himself. He's bounced back, and is now off syringe feeding and doing it for himself  :). Whenever I'm in my chin room, he becomes very excited and very chatty, asking to be taken out of his cage for cuddles. When out, he loves to hold my hand with both paws and chat away to me for ages. It's a wonderful experience  ;).
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

TrinaKat

• View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:30 AM »

I have been talking to him, and his water intake and bathroom habits seem normal. But he's not barking he's making a screaming wheezing sound. That sound is what worries me. He won't let me get close to him, he basically lodges himself upward and between the ladder to the next level on the floor. Does anyone have any advice on how to make him more comfortable?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:35:51 AM by TrinaKat »

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »

The sound you describe is simply a variation of an alarm call, it's nothing to get worried about. Several of my boys make sound in the night ranging from barking to screaming. He's still not comfortable with his surroundings. Try slowly moving your hand round his cage, rearranging some of his toys, but not touching him. Alternatively you could try offering him a tasty treat on the palm of your hand. Several of my chins took up to a couple of months before they were comfortable with me. It's just time. Please don't give up or be put off. He will respond in the end.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

TrinaKat

• View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »

I would never give up on him, he deserves a happy life! thank you for the advice, i'll stop worrying so much and work on making him comfortable!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »

The first two weeks are going to be the hardest for just about any chinchilla after relocation. The biggest thing to monitor is fecal output. Just make sure it is present and looks normal. It should not look mushy or stain the shelves. Withhold treats and feed straight loose hay and pelleted diet. After two weeks I recommend weighing your pet at least once a week and just making sure its weight is stable (within 5%). If your chinchilla is less than a year old you'll see some increase but loss of weight is a potential warning indicator.

Chinchillas usually will bark and vocalize often the first few days after they are relocated, usually after dark when they are most active. It is not something to be worried about. If you can hear him breathing when he is not vocalizing or active that would be concerning but making noises after relocation is quite normal.

Don't confuse depression with the fact that chinchillas typically sleep during the day and are very active after sundown. They'll perk back up right before sunrise and then go to sleep for the day. I wouldn't disturb him a whole lot for the first week or two but your pets will become more active during the day as you handle them and play with them more although it's going to be periodic activity. I find my pets to be more cuddly and like to be scratched and rubbed during the day and much more playful and less personable at night. They'll be more interested in roaming and exploring. If there is no activity after dark, weight loss, and decreased fecal output then I would be concerned with depression. You'll become more familiar with his behaviors the longer you have him.

To help make him more comfortable I recommend running a floor fan nearby or just outside of the room. Never blow a fan into the cage. The noise from the fan will help drown out other noises that may be disturbing him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:59:44 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

TrinaKat

• View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »

I have been thinking of getting him a friend, that way he's not so lonely. should I wait or will that help the next few weeks/months easier on him

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 02:08:22 AM »

You could try pairing him with another male, but there are no guarantees. Male chinchillas are easier to bond than females. If you feel that the breeder you obtained this chin from is reputable, then go back to them and discuss your interest in obtaining a second chin. Was your original chin handled by his breeder prior to you obtaining him? You would also need to have a second cage on standby incase introductions went wrong. Preferable placing both chins in a neutral cage is perhaps the easiest way. There is also the quarantine issue to consider. Think all eventualities through before you make a decision.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:07:27 AM »

You'll want to quarantine for a minimum of two weeks to make sure both animals are healthy. Chinchillas don't always like to be paired up. Introduction will cause additional stress.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »

Grey Rodent is correct regarding quarantine. The last thing you would need to cope with is a sick chinchilla. Give your little boy the benefit of your time and patience, and I'm sure you will se positive results. He's still only very young. Some of mine have taken several months to be fully comfortable with me. Each chinchilla is different  :).
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

TrinaKat

• View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »

Thank you all for the advice, I know he likes rabbits (he played with one at the pet store, but of course he can't share a cage with one) And I have read that chins can get really lonely without a pair. Anyways I have one last question, in the course of these two weeks or so should I be in the room often or should I give him more time to himself? and update he loves music, I started singing a song that was stuck in my head and he got instantly more social and he even let me put my hand near him and sniffed me.

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 01:06:13 AM »

It is not a good idea to let your chinchilla play with a rabbit. Rabbits can be carriers of diseases that could prove fatal to your furball. All my chinchillas love music, especially classical. I often leave the radio on for them playing classical music at low volume. This can also help to mask any background sounds that may be scaring him. Please let us now how you progress with him and what you decide to do regarding getting him a friend.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

TrinaKat

• View Profile
    • The Chinchilla Club
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 03:14:47 AM »

He is missing so much fur on his tail, like what do I do i'm so worried! is this normal?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up