Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Cage(s) for Traveling in a Car  (Read 961 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Recommended Cage(s) for Traveling in a Car
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »

Hey guys, so I have given this a lot of thought and have decided to buy my little guy another cage plus a traveling cage.  As of now, anytime that I transport my little guy I take apart his 4 story cage and transport him that way, though that is becoming a huge hassle.  I have decided to get 1 large cage (to keep 1 large cage at each house that I drive to frequently) as well as a traveling (smaller) cage to merely transport him between these two cages.  I was hoping to order both the large cage and traveling cage today, would anyone recommend any cages over another?  And if at all possible could you post a link of a certain cage into this thread that would be both safe and adequate for him?  Thank you very much.

Info about my chinchilla:  Just over 1 year old, lives by himself in a cage, currently lives in a 4 story cage

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Recommended Cage(s) for Traveling in a Car
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »

Be careful transferring a chinchilla between cages and locations frequently. Chinchillas get very stressed when they are relocated and it can take weeks for them to recover after just one transfer. This can lead to illness and behavior problems such as fur chewing.

I recommend quality cage co. (qualitycage.com). They have some good solid designs there for travel cages that are all metal. They also supply large wire cages that are proven to be good designs. Martin's Cages is another good one. Remember that wire shelves or ramps, even if they come supplied with the cage, cannot be used with chinchillas. They are common but deadly. Replace them with wood shelving and you're good. Wire floors should be a maximum of 1/2" x 1/2" spacing as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »

How often are you traveling and how long are you normally gone? Chins really shouldnt travel frequently. They dont handle the stress well and it exposes them to a lot of risks. The stress can lead to lack of appetite, weight loss, fur chewing, and stasis in severe cases. You are risking the chance of respiratory issues as well as the risk of escaping/injury on the trip. Chis really should only leave the house when going to a show (to better the species), to the vet or to a new home. Anything beyond that is really not recommended.

Ryerson carriers are great to use. You can also use cat carriers as long as the chinchilla can not chew their way out. You want to place the carrier somewhere in the car that you can secure it. In the event that you need to stop quickly you dont want the chin flying around the car. Your chin will be fine without food or water till you arrive. A handful of hay will keep him happy till then.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »

@BLS Chins: I travel during college holiday breaks, which range anywhere from a week to a month, so I do not feel comfortable leaving him alone for that long without constant monitoring.

In regards to a carrier, I was initially going to buy one off of either qualitycage or ryerson, however they seem very small.  I understand that a chinchilla does not need a lot of room during transporting from place to place, however I could see myself having a problem with getting my little guy into the cage itself.  I have been told that I could use a cat/dog carrier as long as the wire spacing is small enough for a chinchilla (about 1" x 1"), and was curious if I could use one of these for transporting my buddy.  I would place down bedding or a small blanket as well as his house that he sleeps in, however I just wanted to make sure I'm keeping him as safe as possible.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »

Considering those are made of plastic I doubt they are going to be very helpful to you.

Martin's cages has some good all-metal cages. Their rabbit travel cages should work fine from what I can tell.
Go with the plain galvanized wire since they like to chew plastic and powder coatings which is not good for them.
Some breeders recommend treating new galvanized wire cages by washing them with vinegar before use.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/travel/
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up