Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacationing without my little buddy  (Read 632 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Vacationing without my little buddy
« on: December 25, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

Hey guys, sorry for another post but I had a quick question.  I will be leaving on New Years Eve to go on vacation for about 5-6 days and cannot bring my little guy with me unfortunately.  This is my first time leaving him alone for an extended period of time, so I am unsure of what I should do to prepare.  My parents are going to look after him while I am gone, though they do not know much about chinchillas.  I will list a couple questions:

1) Do they need to let him out to play every night?  And if not every night, how often do they need him to get exercise? --> Note: I have a 4 story cage for him so he has a lot of room to run around.

2) Will he be okay with me being away for this long?  He will listen to my parents when they are in the room with him, however I can tell he is a little hesitant with them (I don't think he fully trusts them yet)

That is all I can think of right now, however I originally thought up 3 questions.  I will post the other one if I think of it.  Thank you again guys, I greatly appreciate all your help.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Vacationing without my little buddy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »

Your chinchilla will be fine in the cage while you are gone. I wouldnt advise any play time with your parents since the chin isnt familiar with them and they arent as confident in handling the chinchilla. The chin will adjust fine for the few days you are away. I would stick to the simple basics (food/hay and water) while you are gone. I have heard stories of chins escaping and or getting hurt/killed while handled by unexperianced people so best to skip things than risk the chin
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »

I agree. If they don't know how to handle him it's better they don't. However I think it's a good idea to let them handle him when you're around a few times just so they can safely transfer him out of the cage if there's an emergency.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:17 PM »

Perfect, thank you again!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up