Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is bigger better?  (Read 1150 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Is bigger better?
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »

Hi guys

I'm looking at getting my chinchillas new cages.
Are bigger cages always better?
I think my cages are quite small right now
but was looking at getting them a larger cage.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Pictures of suitable cages for 1 chinchilla and 2 chinchillas

Thanks
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Is bigger better?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »

Note: See following post for more information.

When it comes to chinchilla cages you should be aiming for getting the right size. Some owners go to extremes and build one that's 8' tall. That might be a little bit dangerous for a young chinchilla.
Right now I'm using a Ferret Nation 182 with a divider and have two chinchillas. Mine has been modified but aftermarket metal floor pans can be found for chinchillas. I wouldn't recommend keeping two chins in the divided space but I think it could be done in a bind. It's actually a very good sized cage, although at first I was concerned it would be too small with the dividers. I had to separate my two after they were pulling each others' fur out. I was using it without the divider for a while and it was very good even then too.

http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-182-double-unit/650431/

Anything of that size, as long as it's metal construction, having a solid metal floor pan, or having a wire floor of no greater than 1/2"x1/2" wire space, with wall wire spacing no greater than 1" x 1/2" for adults, and 1/2"x 1/2" for pre-weaned kits is a good cage. You should build wooden shelves for your cage. We do have a section on cages here with some good examples as well. http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,117.0.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:35:50 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Is bigger better?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »

Bigger isnt better. The larger the cage the more precautions you will need to take to make it safe. This means hammocks or ledges so they cant fall more than 12 inches, among other things. Age is also a factor in size. Young chin sunder 7 months old should have small cages till they are older. A single ferret nation cage (not the full double) can comfortably house 2 or 3 chins with plenty of ledges.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up