Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Been a long while since posting. new chin pic  (Read 2222 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Been a long while since posting. new chin pic
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »

So, back in march or so one of my female chinchillas has closed pyrometra. She went through surgery and recovery and thankfully made it. Unfortunately her cagemate didn't accept her back after the weeks they were apart as she healed.

I bought a second cage so they both had their own. Salem, the girl who had surgery, became extremely depressed and withdrawn and was not at all herself. I decided to buy her a kit with the hopes that she would return to her normal self. Luckily, it all worked out and she instantly took to him as his new mother and he took to her. She returned to her normal self almost immediately. Her cagemate she was with doesn't seem bothered being on her own either.

Here is a picture of him. He is a violet male and now 7 months old. Best decision ever!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:18:17 PM by mb30 »

mb30

• View Profile
Re: Been a long while since posting. new chin pic
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »

This was when he was still small. The picture above is at 7 months. This one was around the first month of having him

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »

Another picture...i didn't realize pics show up if linking from photobucket. Seems to be a better way to keep the quality of the pic without having to reduce it.

Here they are together sleeping

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »

Very cute!
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »

Thanks! It's my first male chinchilla as wellnas first time having one from a kit. He is very interesting. He is extremely vocal and is a habitual tunneler haha.
Forever screwing up the fleeces in the cage. He is also a climber. I've never seen a chinchilla climb like he does. Although, my experience is realtively limited. 

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »

I've always had males. Both of my chins will climb on the bars. My white mosaic is so bad I had to put a shelf over his wheel so he wouldn't hurt himself by getting on top of it. Those are beautiful animals. Bonding an opposite sex pair should go very smoothly for you. Thanks so much for sharing.

For our readers I'm going to say this - in this case the female chinchilla cannot have birth. She has been spayed to save her from an infection. Do not put chins of the opposite sex together unless you intend to breed. Spaying and neutering of normal healthy chinchillas is not recommended.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »

Yes, i will re-iterate this as well. I do not plan on breeding this male. He was purchased from a breeder here for Salem first. She was in bad shape mentally after being rejected and was losing weight and very withdrawn. It meant that i had to buy a second cage and take on the responsibility of having two cages to clean every morning and two playtimes for the pair and then the individual chin. It was worth it for me and i have the ability to give all three equal amounts of love. Even if it means i now wake up at 3:30am to clean them out before i go to work :D.

Also, pyrometra is nothing to take lightly. It is something that will come back eventually. Salem had two prior bouts with open pyrometra the year before. I was trying to avoid surgey at all costs because it is super high risk. This time it came back as closed pyrometra and she almsot did not survive. Luckily, she responded well to the baytril and it got her to a point where an operation was able to be performed.  If i knew the pyrometra was going to keep coming back i would have opted for the spaying after the first time. I simply didn't know much about the ailment.

I would advise, as stated above, to never ever put a chinchilla through surgery unless it is to save their life. Obviously there are people who get their males neutered and it is supposed to be a much simpler process but personally, i would not risk it. A chinchilas recovery is not a simple process.

This chinchilla was extremely close to dying. Thankfully my vet was good and confident in her ability. The team was great and they sll said they fell in love with her post-op.
Pages: [1]   Go Up