Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchilla dying  (Read 1353 times)

kay

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chinchilla dying
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:43:06 AM »

hello one of my chinchillas is dying im gutted to say the least I found her nightr in her cage offered her some water she drank a little she is wimpering in my arms don't :think she has much longer  its horendeous shes abt 2 I niticed the other day she was paw:wing her mouth but seemed happy and lively dwouldn't let me check her teeth shes 2 and lives with her mam and dad which is why I havnt noticed her not eating but holding her now she does seem to of lost weight they come out most nights f exercise shes just deteriated overnight going the vet first thing in morn should I hold her on me or put her in her cage don't no what to do :(

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: chinchilla dying
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear that. In most cases like this there is usually an underlying problem that develops for weeks or even months. Chinchillas are good at hiding illness until it's progressed to the point of no return, which is why I always recommend weighing a chinchilla at least once a week. Gradual weight loss usually indicates something is wrong and should be checked out. Their fecal output should be monitored each day to check for consistency and volume, which can also be an early warning sign.
Without being able to examine the animal first hand there is not much I can determine. In most cases like this it is tooth problems that lead to an infection but it could be anything from a respiratory infection to food poisoning or even complications from having an improper diet.
Here are some things to check:
Diet. Chinchillas should be getting loose hay and pelleted diet. If they are given vegetables or too many treats it can kill them. If they
are not getting loose hay their teeth will deteriorate and this is fatal. Make sure the food smells dry and appears normal. Food poisoning is a well known cause of premature death.
Water. Make sure your water is dispensing properly. Check water every day.
Breeding. A chinchilla that is not bred with care is often prone to chronic tooth problems which are ultimately fatal.
Environment. Chinchillas must be kept below 75 degrees. Much above that can cause overheating, seizures, and death.
Stress. Chins can be very sensitive to changes in enironment and noisy animals like cats or dogs. Stress can kill if it not managed.
Other things to consider are exposure to lead paint, electrocution (chinchillas love to chew power cables), injury from falling, and parasitic infection.
Chances are you will need to obtain syringe feeding supplies and instructions from your veterinarian. If you can do that today that will be best. If you can't try to feed a mash of pelleted diet mixed with water and see if your pet will eat it. I suspect it's been off its food. Most health problems coincide with anorexia in chinchillas. Other than that your best option is to wait until you can get it examined.

I strongly caution about veterinarians. If you can't find one that is experienced with chinchillas specifically it will be very unlikely you will receive competent care. Incompetent care is often fatal. You may be better off leaving your pet in its cage and making sure the room is quiet. This will minimize stress and exertion until you can determine a better strategy of care for your pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kay

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »

Thanks for reply she is in with dad and mam dad is neutered shes abt 2 half fed on pellets timothy hayfor chins and a half of bitesize shredded wheat they are out of cage most nights in a chin safe place, noticed other day she wasnt herself but wouldn't let me check her teeth but today so larthargic she let me and the bottom ones seem to be bad growing inwards its been a hellish day shes whimperd most of it do I take her out of cage or leave her in don't no what to do thanks in advance. kay

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »

If the teeth are that obviously bad I am going to recommend euthanasia. You can opt to have them trimmed but regular filings will be necessary as chinchillas' teeth constantly grow. If you got your chinchilla from a breeder I recommend contacting them. Reputable breeders will try to remove chinchillas that have malocclusion out of their lines.
Until you can make your vet appointment I recommend leaving your chinchilla alone. If you have a separate cage to her in so she can have her own room you are better off. Sick chinchillas can easily contract infections that can be very dangerous to your other pets, usually pneumonia, because their immune systems get compromised. In my experience online maloccluding chins often die of pneumonia and the malo gets discovered coincidentally.

Also monitor the mom and dad for malocclusion as this is an inherited problem often caused by inbreeding.

If you are still interested in saving it you need to begin syringe feeding today if possible. Your next best option is feeding it on a spoon. Limit that to one tablespoon until you get more specific instructions from your veterinarian. Your chinchilla has likely stopped eating for some time. The complications from this can be fatal even if malo were not a factor. Your veterinarian should be advised to treat it for gastrointestinal stasis. Preferably injectible antibiotics should be favored over oral. Antibiotics wreak havoc on chinchilla's digestive systems and cause fatal complications if not managed. Advise your vet of that as well. It will need intensive care over the next few weeks. Anything at you do at this point should be done under veterinary supervision to prevent potentially fatal complications. I am not a vet nor am I particularly experienced in these matters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:42:37 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up