Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage for 2 sets of chinchilla, shipping to Ireland  (Read 1001 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Cage for 2 sets of chinchilla, shipping to Ireland
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »

I'm looking to buy a new cage for my chinchillas as one of the cages is getting a bit shabby after many years of use. I have 2 girls and a boy (family) so they are currently in 2 separate cages. I would like to get a really nice, really big cage with a separator to save on floor space.
Would any of you who breed be able to suggest a good cage and where to get one? I would need it to ship to Ireland which has been a problem in the past.
Thanks

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Cage for 2 sets of chinchilla, shipping to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »

Wish I could provide some input but I just don't know. In fact I've yet to see a decent cage offered commercially in the UK. You may want to consider building your own. I recommended that too to someone in England and he also had a very hard time finding materials.
A fairly simple wire cage can be constructed of 1"x1/2" wire for the walls and 1/2"x1/2" wire for the floor. Someone who houses rabbits is probably familiar with this kind of enclousre. It should be about 2' x 3' for the floor and about 3' tall with wooden shelving. Some owners build wooden frames for the cage which can work well although wood will eventually be damaged by chewing and care must be taken to make sure it stays properly maintained.

Perhaps someone can recommend something. I also recommend trying our facebook group and asking about recommendations there at https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheChinchillaClub/
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »

The xtrail rodent cage is awesome.

Also, a guy named john hopewell makes cages for chinchillas.

There are plenty of suitable options for england/ireland

If you are still around

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »

Here are my chins cages

I am in the uk

Quality will suffer as i had to reduce quite a bit to meet the picture posting requirements
Pages: [1]   Go Up