Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Ingrowing Teeth.  (Read 922 times)

RigzBandz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Ingrowing Teeth.
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »

Hi all.

I am new to this Forum, and I am in need of advice. My Chinchilla Jed is 4 years old and he's just had his 2nd Operation for Overgrown Teeth, although this time not the same teeth. My Vet said this wasn't Malo although I am worried this is the first sign as he is still Drooling, is this because he had his Op on Mon (it's now Fri). Any Advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Ingrowing Teeth.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »

I'm very sorry you're having this trouble. I think you should get a second opinion at the very least. I'm certain it's some kind of malo, likely caused by a problem with the maxillary bones. I don't think you're going to like my advice but I think euthanasia is going to be your best option. 4 years is not very old for a chinchilla.

Can you describe exactly what his diet and cage environment is like? Does he have wooden shelves? Is he being fed loose hay? Could he have a calcium deficiency? Unfortunately after a condition like this develops there isn't much that can be done.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

melgo66

• Appreciation points: 8
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Hay
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 02:52:31 AM »

I definitely agree with @GrayRodent...it sounds liks ome form of malo. This article has a good video in it that might be worth watching so you can hopefully figure out some ways to help it. http://smallpetselect.com/chinchilla-guide/chinchilla-teeth-%E2%80%93-an-ever-growing-issue

Sorry to hear about the stress you and your little one have gone through; hope your chinchin is okay.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »

Malo it's a vague term used to cover basically any problem with the teeth. There are several types though. Over grown, misalignment and root. Over growth can be managed slightly through filings and changes in husbandry but will be a life long maintenance. Misalignment is were the teeth don't match up properly and cause spurs. This can also be managed with dentals but usually winds up leading to many other problems long term. If roots are involved, then nothing can be done.

Have xrays been done? What specifically was wrong/done with his teeth and how long ago? At that age teeth problems are typically genetic issues. Where did you get him from?
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up