Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Litter  (Read 621 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Litter
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »

Ok so at the moment in the bottom of the trays we have like recycled litter from pets at home (our pet store in the uk) however the chinnies can easily peak through the bottom and eat it and it's a pain to clean out LOL. So I'm wondering can you use puppy training pads? Like in the tray underneath? Or has anyone had any more ideas for easy clean up that's chin safe?
Thanks for any responses :)
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Litter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »

Do not use puppy training pads unless you can ensure your pets cannot reach them. Personally I use them in my cage setup but the floor is custom fabricated so there is a wire floor that prevents them from getting access to it. To be honest I actually had a problem with this a couple of weeks ago and I didn't lay it down flat enough. When my chinchillas got it they chewed a pretty good sized hole in it. I was very concerned about bowel obstruction and I could see the cotton fibers in their feces the next day. Regardless of that I've been using them for two years now and it is an excellent system when it is done properly. If you can't do that then pine litter is your best and safest option.

As far as cleanup I generally use a small hand broom and use a shop vac every couple of days. I used litter in the past and that was before I had a good shop vac so I got very good with the broom! You could get a cage that has a wire floor and a tray beneath it. Make sure it's all metal with no plastic parts or trays.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:38:42 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Litter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »

i use wood chips and news paper. puppy pads contain hormones to attract the puppy and are usually plastic so if the chin can reach any part of it, i wouldnt use it. a shop vac and broom go a long way in keeping the chins area clean
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up