Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back and not so good news  (Read 1835 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Back and not so good news
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »

Hi guys!
So we are back from getting married and our honeymoon and thought we would give an update. We decided with the slight issues we were having with them we decided to take them to the breeder we got coco and onyx from.

With near every day contact with ur breeder she told us the 2 only had one chasing session and they were both having a chase so nothing serious. I got pictures of them off her while I was away aswell and they stayed together I thought great! Whatever issues they were facing are over and out pair will be back to normal when we got them back. So under the breeders advise we scrubbed the cage before leaving a when we came back with a solution on sterilisation tablets and water then pet safe cleaner.

We picked them up took them home and surprise surprise they started fighting again within 10 minutes of being back in their old cage. I say fighting but onyx was the one doing the chasing and latching on to coco. Again we had massive clumps of fur hanging from his back end. We sent photos and videos of the fighting to the breeder and this time it was worse than ever before and worse than we thought it ever would get.

The breeder and I have no idea what has set this off in both of them or why it has happened ash says they were both great at her house. We tried everything we could and nothing worked we tried telling him off tried to keep onyx from getting to coco. Putting onyx in the cage for a while then back out, we tried cutting the size of our cage down and putting both of them in it but that made things 10 times worse.

So long story short after all that we had to separate our wee guys 😔 it's a shame and we are heart broken but we are not risking cocos life to keep them together.

It's been a few days and onyx seems quite happy on his own however we are going to get him a cuddle buddy for company when we needs it and also he can rip it apart if he wants.
Coco on the other hand is dying still to be with onyx and still wants to be friends still chats to him and goes up to onyx when he is out playing but onyx try's to bite coco through the cage. So we have decided to get a kit for coco as company because he does seem really sad without a pal.
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Back and not so good news
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've tried everything within reason. Yikes.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »

I know it's such a shame how they can just change like that without any warning but I mean onyx seems happy enough on his own because coco is away getting paired right now he is the only one in the room and he was running around crazy last night in the room at plat time. So I think just a stuffed snuggle buddy will be good for him so he can have someone to cuddle with but if he does attack it we can just buy a new one. Coco will be paired with a baby kit who has just been separated from his mum yesterday so hopefully thy pair well because coco is such a gentle wee soul we needs a live buddy.

Just hope we are doing the best thing for both of them.

Any thoughts?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »

It's standard practice to do it that way but if the kit is very small it will not be able to defend itself if a fight does break out. Tread carefully.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »

Coco isn't the fighting one coco is the timid kind one. It's th breeder that is pairing then so I feel safer with her doing it.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »

Does Onyx attack outside of the cage? Like if you put them both in the bathroom, does Onyx attack? Maybe he got territorial over the cage or something.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

It was only ever outside the cage he done it but the last time it was in and out the cage jus wouldn't give poor coco peace.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »

If it makes you feel any better I had to separate my two chins a week ago. Kulu was getting his hair pulled out in enormous clumps and there was hair clung to the shelves. The incidents became more frequent and more severe so now I put a divider in the cage before there might be any bloodshed. It totally ruined my ideal chinchilla setup. I hope that maybe a year from now, when Spot gets older and calmer, I can try again. Mine can play together under supervision but they can't spend a night without someone's hair getting pulled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up