Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dental and eating issues  (Read 1055 times)

Chinzilla04

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Dental and eating issues
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »

Hi fellow chin owners,

So I've faced with a bit of a crisis with my little guy. First off he's 14, and he's having some major dental issues. About 2 years ago I noticed he was pawing at his mouth and not eating well. I took him to the vet and they informed me his molars were too long and they needed to be trimmed. So I had them trimmed, fed him hay, and everything seemed fine.

3 months ago I noticed the same reoccurring symptoms, so I took him to another chin vet (the first left the clinic) had his teeth trimmed, and expected not to encounter the issue for another year or two.

1 month ago I brought him to the vet yet again because he was squeaking and wasn't eating. I was informed that his teeth needed to be trimmed again which seemed crazy because I had him in 2 months before! But the vet swears up and down that he's trimming the teeth as far back as they can go. So unless he's lying.... my chini is having serious dental issues.

He refuses to eat his hay. I've tried multiple hays, I've tried rubbing raisins and other treats he likes on his hay, I've tried apple bark sticks, and I've tried popsicle sticks with juice. Nothing. He couldn't care less about them.  So if he refuses to use his molars obviously they won't be worn down.

The vet said that one of his bottom molars in growing forward towards his lips, because of this he's not chewing properly and causing 2 molars to spur on the top of the other side of his mouth.

More bad news.... I know for a fact that some of his bottom molars are growing through his jaw, and I can literally feel them get bigger. I wished the vet had suggested x-rays last teeth trimming because I would have accepted. I am very worried that his top teeth are also growing up....

I'm considering dental surgery but I have to be referred to it and I don't know how much it will cost. I'm guessing a lot. I don't even think it's worth it if his teeth are growing upwards... I wouldn't want to put him through that suffering.

I really don't know what to do. It's too expensive to have him in every 2 - 3 months for teeth trimming ($150 a trip), and if I do he'll be constantly alternating between cut up mouth/weight loss to normal.

Has anyone had dental surgery on their chin and had it COMPLETELY fix the problem? Would you risk it on a 14 year old chini? I worry every time he's put under, :(. If the molar that is growing forward is also the one growing through his jaw, what should I do?

I know the first step is x-rays, but if his teeth are growing up should I have him put down?

Please help....

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Dental and eating issues
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »

I am very sorry to hear you are going through this. Typically filing maloccluded teeth is temporary and in the worst cases, only lasts for a few months, as you describe. I regretfully recommend euthanasia at this point. 14 years is very advanced age for a chinchilla and he has lived a good long life. Surgery will be very expensive, invasive, and risky for such an old pet and there are no guarantees it will succeed. Both molars will need to be removed. This can cause fracturing of the jaw, and orthagonal shifting of the mandible which can result in malocclusion of the other teeth.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chinzilla04

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

Thank you for your honestly. Unfortunately this was the answer I had been fearing...

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »

Malo is something that is not treatable. You were lucky that filing lasted as long as it did. Imo euth is the kindest thing you can do for your chin now. I'm sorry you have to deal with this
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up