Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla getting "touchy?"  (Read 845 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla getting "touchy?"
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »

Hey guys!  So I have noticed that Dex (my chinchilla) has been getting a little affectionate during play time, specifically around my feet and legs.  He tends to latch on, so I looked this up and I believe he is humping me.  I have read up on this a little and it says to get him a "fleece buddy," however I wanted to see what you guys thought about this.  And if you recommend either a fleece buddy or a different toy, is there a link you could provide for where I could find one?  And also is there anything I can do to stop Dex from doing this?  Thank you again guys!!

-Bill

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla getting "touchy?"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »

My grey chinchilla, Kulu, can be really bad about that. It seems to come and go in cycles. Lately he's been doing better but he's had a cage mate. I guess in a way that helped since I haven't had problems with him since before then. The cage mate, Spot, is another story. I have separated them as of Friday because they were pulling each other's fur out and it was escalating to where I thought it was getting dangerous. He was really bad about humping on Spot and I wonder if that was a contributing factor.

All chinchillas are going to be different. Kulu is prone to getting randy. Spot, my other chinchilla, is completely different and I've never seen him go after me. When Kulu gets randy he'll start by pulling at my skin. When that happens I just pull back and if that's not enough I'll pick him up and hold him against my chest so he can't go any farther. That's usually enough to stop him.

I know some chinchillas will pick up on other female animals or even people during their cycle. Some are just like that all of the time and you just have to deal with it. If you want to get him something be careful because your chances of observing fur rings becomes higher. For those that have done this the results seem to be mixed. It really depends on the personality of your pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Chinchilla getting "touchy?"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »

Unfortunately that's normal male behavior. How old is your chin? If here's under 1.5 yrs it could be puberty which means he may settle down some as he ages. A cuddle buddy may help but there's no way to reduce or eliminate the humping
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up