Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving liquid medication  (Read 878 times)

Herbert

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Giving liquid medication
« on: September 15, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »

One of my chinhillas has a parasite and the medication finally came in.  I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to give it to him. I wrapped him up in a towel and then put the surynge type thing in behind his front teeth   the best I could and put in a tiny bit at a time but alot came out the side. Anyone know a way I can open his mouth more..should I just force it open? Are their tounges long enough to get what is left off the side of his mouth because I wiped off as much as I could with the towel and then I found him wiping his face on a piece of wood.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Giving liquid medication
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »

I had parasites with my chinchilla and had to give two different meds a couple of years ago. It is likely you'll miss some and he's not going to look too pretty for a while. Their fur very easily gets matted. Unfortunately chinchillas are not capable of licking things off their face like a cat or dog so the best thing to do is make sure you aim well.
I prefer to have help when medicating. In my case I held my pet because I am more experienced with handing him than anyone else and had my mom or my brother dispense the meds. I always had some damp paper towels on hand to wipe anything off that missed. (Not soaking but just damp)

You don't need to force your pet's mouth open. Do not try to put pressure on the teeth or pry at them or you can cause serious injury. If you get right behind the front teeth there's a gap there before you get to the molars. My preference is to go at a slight angle towards the back but usually my pet would usually end up chewing on the syringe tip as we dispensed it and we would be changing syringes fairly often.

My pet took about 3 days before I saw significant improvement in him after he was diagnosed with coccidia. I strongly recommend replacing all wood shelving and wood items in the cage a day or two before it's time to stop treatment as a precaution against re-infection.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »

My entire 4ftx4ftx2ft cage is wood, walls, shelving, floor, stails, ramps..so I litterly have to build an entirely new cage to replace all wood...his soft stool has left some stains but I didn't think he could get it again as the vet said it can't pass from one chin to the other..only one tested for the parasite.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »

Thank you for the tips tho! I'll get help next time! Sounds like it would be easier haha
Pages: [1]   Go Up