Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to syringe feeding -> Hand feeding.  (Read 1116 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Alternative to syringe feeding -> Hand feeding.
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:27:44 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BiPCtlam8

Very good results with this method up to now, and I read online some other people having success when offering CC on their finger... it might have something to do with rodent instincts.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Alternative to syringe feeding -> Hand feeding.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »

Thank you for sharing this. This method is a good practice.
I know it does work and it's a good way to feed a chinchilla that will eat on its own and has bonded well to you.
When syringe feeding you should break it up into at least two smaller meals, but preferably 3 or more up to the recommend dose in a 24 hour period. Although some owners don't like the idea of feeding their animal that many times but it is necessary to do this for very weak animals or those being treated for gastrointestinal stasis. Chinchillas need a fairly constant flow of nutrients through their stomach and intestines. I disagree with the practice of syringe feeding one large dose per day.

Talking to your pets in a high squeaky voice is certainly an interesting practice. They probably do think it's another chinchilla!
In this case the chinchilla won't eat from a spoon but that is certainly something to try if you must to feed your chinchilla recovery diet such as Oxbow Critical Care. Many owners have found success with this. I do know that no two animals are the same and it will depend on your particular pet.

A chinchilla that is not eating on its own should be fed a proper formula at doses recommended for its weight and size. Its dietary needs should always be assessed by a veterinarian first as well as a proper diagnosis of what caused it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:21:20 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to syringe feeding -> Hand feeding.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »

Absolutely true GrayRodent. One more thing about syringe feeding is that the portion is much more dilute, needing a total feeding portion at least 2x more volume than feeding a paste. ... I don't think chinchillas have very large digestive systems, so forcefeeding 1 large dose per day sounds very likely to result in a bloated stomach and discomfort for your chin.
Overall, syringe feeding probably is sometimes necessary, but I would recommend keeping it as the last resort, since voluntary eating is so superior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up