Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milk questions  (Read 5282 times)

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Milk questions
« on: August 13, 2015, 02:55:37 AM »

So finally Kiwi has given birth to two kits, names are still un determined. Born between 6pm to 10pm on August 10th they are healthy and running around, were nice and dry when found and everything seems to be going great.

Im always worrying though of things that could go wrong that I might not catch. What are good ways aside from weighing the kits to know they are sufficiant on milk? And what are the usual normal behaviors of a kit? Id just like to know to set a baseline to keep on track with incase anything happens.

Also my vet. Said to just hay pellets and water for Kiwi's diet, but im reading a lot about calcium supplimentation even after birth?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Milk questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »

Yes constant access to pelleted diet and water is necessary. Switching from timothy hay to alfalfa hay for the loose hay is recommended during nursing and pregnancy. Calcium supplements in the form of calcium powder over the pelleted diet is recommended as well. I wish I could tell you what normal behaviors all look like but I have no direct experience. I do expect that if there is a problem with milk the kit will be constantly crying. I think it would be pretty obvious.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »

Im pretty much always concerned when it comes to delicate stuff like this, she seems to be really chilled out but still super playful, ready to run all over the second the door to the cage is opened. Though she is a lot slower than usual and Im not really letting her run around for right now.
 But anyway I notice that the kits tails are curling up nice and natural, she's not nipping at them while they grub out on her. So I'm pretty happy that Kiwi is taking care of everything so far this has been a very natural easy experience!
 Out of curiosity how comparable is the Kit feces to an adult Chinchillas?

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »

If the mother does not have enough milk, the kits will be less active, tails won't curl up over there backs. They do not cry when they are hungry. That would attract predators, so instinctively they stay quiet for the most part. Switching hay to alfalfa is a good idea but you don't need to add any other calcium supplements to much calcium in the diet can lead to seizures and kidney/bladder stones. Watch the females teeth, if they are white then you need to supplement. They should naturally be an orange color
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up