Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla's one eye is slightly red and shut more than the other  (Read 730 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile

Hey guys, Dex just woke up and I noticed that one of his eyes is open much less than his other and he has a small red ring around his eye.  He keeps scratching at it even though I tell him to stop.  Is there anything I can do for him?  And how severe is something like this?  He doesn't go to the vet until August 19 and the veterinarians are only open until noon tomorrow (though I doubt they'll have an open slot for an appointment) and they are closed on Sunday so I am afraid I'll have to wait until Monday to get him the care he needs.  Thank you so much guys.

PS (some background info) : We just moved into a new apartment and he has been running around this new room and jumping into the slightly-dusty heater (which is off!) as his "small-comfort space."  I vacuumed all of the dust the I could get to out when I moved in, so I do not know what could have caused this eye problem but I am very worried about my little buddy.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chinchilla's one eye is slightly red and shut more than the other
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »

At this point you can't really say. Check the eye very closely for any signs that something might be in it like a piece of hay. It can get ugly if there is a foreign object and it is not removed. Some eye infections are spontaneous and will go away on their own in a day or two. Some experts recommend getting treatment anyway to minimize the possibility of permanent damage to the eye and tear duct. Some infections of the eye may indicate a larger underlying infection that can be life threatening. I recommend getting your pet to the vet as soon as possible for a careful diagnosis because you don't know if it's benign or serious. It's possible he picked something up on the floor that was irritating or toxic as well since you don't know the history of the house so consider that possibility. It could be that the stress from relocation could have made him more susceptible to an infection and it just occurred spontaneously. The mechanical irritation of the scratching can make it worse. Topical antibiotics and ointments are usually used to treat these kinds of problems. An NSAID such as meloxycam may also be prescribed.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: My chinchilla's one eye is slightly red and shut more than the other
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »

I wouldnt wait till the 19th. Eyes are the slowest healing place on the body so damage done there is quick to scar, limiting his future vision. I would call monday and ask for an appointment sooner. Is there hair loss around the eye? rubbing the area shows discomfort and there isnt anything you can do at home to help with that until you see a vet. Do not dust him in the mean time as dust can irritate it worse and encourage rubbing
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up