Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worries about chinchilla weight  (Read 1183 times)

andatodoran

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: two
    • View Profile
Worries about chinchilla weight
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »

Today I've weighted my chinchillas and while Kina, 4yo, is in the normal range weighting 595 g, Casper is worrying me with just 386g... He's 2yo and he's Speedy Gonzales, chinchilla version, he just can't stand still and he's never been big. I'm checking his teeth weekly, his poopoo and how & how much he eats to see if there are any changes and everything's been ok. As treats he only gets goji berries/rose hips/ raisins but only once in a few months or on special occasions. I've been giving him porridge oats but again, in small amounts. Their diet is based on hay and Versele laga chinchilla food ( i live in Romania and it's the best food i've found around here) which they enjoy.

So what I'm asking is since his health is ok, he's never been heavy and he's eating alright ( please let me know if you advice against the type of food i'm giving them ) should I be worried about his weight and if so, what can I do to help him gain some?

I've attached a photo of him.

Thanks in advance!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Worries about chinchilla weight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »

What is his normal weight? Chinchillas can be different sizes so you cannot go by comparing them to each other. Without previous healthy weights listed there is nothing to go by. If you suspect your chinchilla is not at a good weight please consult your veterinarian ASAP and have him checked. Someone who is experienced can tell if an animal is underweight by physically examining your pet. Find a veterinarian that specifically has experience with chinchillas if at all possible.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

andatodoran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »

His normal weight is around 370-380, he's been constant, this is why at first I was like maybe this is just how he is, especially since he's so active, but after seeing a lot of chinchillas his age being bigger I thought that maybe I'm not feeding him the right way or there is something I'm not doing well

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »

I think you're fine. Constant weight is a big indicator of good health, and considering his fecal output is normal I wouldn't be worrying. Breeding practices will determine how big your chinchilla will be. Breeders who don't have good lines and do not have good practices will have small animals. An underweight chinchilla that is on a poor diet will usually have a lot of illnesses and die. Which type of food are you using? Of the versele-laga foods that I'm seeing some have fruits in them which is not good for chinchillas and can health problems in the long run. Try to avoid anything with fruit or sugar it in. Make sure to have loose fresh hay at all times.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

andatodoran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »

No, no, no fruits or sugars, just pellets. I attached some photos of it, it's called Chinchilla and degu Complete. They used to have just for chinchillas too but for some reason I can't find it in any pet stores anymore.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »

I'm not familiar with that food. 380 grams is quite small for an adult. Did you get him as a rescue? If he is holding his weight and acting/eating well I wouldn't worry. A small size like that I would suspect poor breeding our stunted growth as a kit. That can mean the potential for health problems later in life so just monitor closely and continue weighing.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

andatodoran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »

He was an unexpected gift and my friend took him from a girl who wanted to get rid of him... she couldn't tell me his exact age nor whether he was took from a breeder or a pet store... she could just tell me he was "about" 6 months. The previous owner is unreachable, I cannot contact her to ask more about him. He was playful and really friendly so I never worried about him.

I'll keep monitoring him and I'll take him to a check as soon as I can, chinchilla veterinarians are a rarity around here since they're not exactly a common pet.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

6 months is not fully grown. If it's weight is unchanged over the next couple of months it's probably safe to assume it's older than 8 months.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »

Agreed. Most chins grow until 8 months to a yr ago if he isn't growing it's likely he's older than they told you.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up