Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey from SoCal  (Read 1622 times)

Kristi@StoneFamFarmstead

Hey from SoCal
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:21 AM »

Hey guys, happy to be here. My name is Kristi. I don't have any chins yet, but a friend has offered the female portion of her breeding herd to me with the promise of a boy at a later date (she needs to rehome them). We would be adding them to our growing hobby farm in hopes of breeding perhaps later next year after they are settled and I have established some sort of comfortable relationship with them. We raise pet and fiber rabbits, dairy goats, laying chickens, and along with our dogs and cats, we have 16 animals that I love on and care for regularly.

I have been reading information from the internet and here on the boards, but I'm wondering---does anyone have book recommendations for new owners and hobby breeders? I know the basics, but would like to have some good reference books on my shelf.

Thanks for having me on the boards, and nice to meet you. :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Hey from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »

Welcome to the chinchilla club forums. We have some great volunteers who are highly experienced in breeding on small and large scales. Feel free to ask questions. I do recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Chinchillas-pets-profession-Jamie-Huggins/dp/1452856796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436106682&sr=8-1&keywords=chinchillas+pets+to+profession by our own Jamie Huggins who founded the chinchilla club.

That's great that you found someone who some good chinchillas and has some experience to help you. That puts you in a very good position.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Kristi@StoneFamFarmstead

Re: Hey from SoCal
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »

I hope so. She didn't seem to get very far because she runs a petting zoo out here and her heart is really with her larger animals (sheep, alpaca, goats, etc.). The zoo and her 100+ animals keep her very busy, which is the reason for the rehoming of her chins. I don't know how far she got with the breeding program, but she does know some things which will help. I know I will have a lot of learning of my own to do before I begin, though. That and making sure I have the right conditions for them to live in before I take them in.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did see that book and it's on my "buy" list.

Nice to meet you, GrayRodent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up