Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Sleep Hours  (Read 1191 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Sleep Hours
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

Hey guys, I had two quick questions about Dex pertaining to his sleep schedule.  First and foremost, is it possible for Dex to be in the same room as me during the day while he's sleeping?  For example, if I'm watching TV in one room and he is napping, will that disturb him and keep him awake?  And if it would disturb him, is there a way to 'sound-proof' his cage?  I only ask because I will be moving to a very small place in less than a month where he will have to stay in my bedroom, though I don't want to disturb his sleep!

Second, I've noticed lately that Dex has started to be awake more during the day (not necessarily running around but getting food, playing with/eating hay, and just moving around the cage), however at night time (after he has his outside play time) he likes to just hangout in his sleep house and lounge around more.   He has been his crazy active self more and more outside, however he has started to use his wheel less as a result.  Is this something I should look into or is this natural?  He is still young (roughly 6 months old) so I was wondering if he should have more energy than he does.

Thank you for all your help again guys!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Sleep Hours
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

Chinchillas can adjust their sleep wake patterns. Mine live right next to the desk where I work during the day and I listen to podcasts much of the time. They don't seem to care. Sometimes I stay up late and they don't seem to care. I do have their lighting on a timer because the room does not get much natural daylight. The biggest thing to mind is going to be light levels and just make sure there's a fairly normal day/night cycle. If you're not working day plus night shifts you won't have to worry about that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Chinchilla Sleep Hours
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

They will adjust to your schedule. As long as the noises aren't obnoxiously loud they learn to sleep through certain things
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up