Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bonding 4 chinchillas....  (Read 637 times)

dozla

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
bonding 4 chinchillas....
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »

Hi I recently lost my 9 year old boy leaving behind his 6 month old friend so I brought his 3 month old half brother, They are very slowly starting to tolerate each other whilst out for a little play time (only 10 minutes or so) the older one Scamp initially lunged a few times at Pickle but that has stopped now and they have started the dominance humping... I know this is all part of the process into hopefully bonding... BUT I was won over by some twins who had just been born and are due to be old enough to come home in September.. my question is has anyone had quads living together before?? I know they live in hundreds in the wild and  my cage is massive and easily big enough for the 4 and I have extra water bottles, food etc but I just wondered once the other two are bonded will they except another 2 babies??

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: bonding 4 chinchillas....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »

This is one of those debatable issues. I will say that the more chinchillas you have in the same cage the higher the risk of a serious or fatal fight will become. Not all chinchillas are compatible with each other and not all chinchillas that get along today will get along tomorrow. It is a touchy thing to combine chinchillas but it is possible to have four. I would not recommend going past that. Make very sure they are all males. Introducing a female into a cage with a multiple males can be disastrous.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

dozla

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
Re: bonding 4 chinchillas....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

yeah I checked they all have their male bits.. will definitely not get any more.. the FiancĂ©e is going to flip when I rock up with them anyway.. he knows about the pink white (3rd baby) but not about his brother (4th baby) hence their names.. Ace as it was ace I was allowed a 3rd and the 4th now named Magic haha.. ta da magic there is a 4th  rofl 
Pages: [1]   Go Up