Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How often should I take my little buddy to the vet?  (Read 1500 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
How often should I take my little buddy to the vet?
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »

Hey guys, I have heard some different opinions about chinnies and the vet so I was hoping to get some advice.  Initially I heard that I should take my chinchilla to the veterinarian within 48 hours of initially purchasing him, and then annually after that.  I have also heard that I do not need to take my buddy to the vet unless he shows any strange signs.  Also, if I do need to take him to the vet and anyone knows a good veterinarian around State College, PA or Pittsburgh, PA I would greatly appreciate it!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How often should I take my little buddy to the vet?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »

My opinion is that an initial checkup is a good idea to establish your pet is in good health. I would wait at least two weeks after you first get your new pet. Once you've established your chinchilla is at a healthy weight you should weigh your pet about once a week. If you see any abnormalities, such as a weight loss or weight gain approaching 10-15% of normal, then you should take your pet to the vet. I do not do annual checkups. I don't think they are particularly helpful and certainly are no substitute for being observant. Strange signs would include weight loss, loose or smeary stools, seizures or lack of muscle coordination, runny or mucusy eyes or nose, matted hair caused by drooling or discharge, unusually small stool that lasts more than 3 days, unusual hair loss, or discharge from the ears.

It does appear we have a listing for Gibsonia, PA in our directory. http://www.chinchillaclub.com/vets/ I can't personally vouch for any of our listed services but I recommend asking any vet if they have direct experience with chinchillas.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »

Im not a fan of stressing chins more than is necessary. The moving and stress/other pets in the waiting room can cause problems. I only take my chins to a vet when there is a problem. It is a good idea to have one or two vets lined up for when you do need them. Its always a weekend or holiday when you run into a problem so make sure you find a 24 hour vet or an emergency center. You might want to contact Pittsburg Area Chins, she should know of a good vet in that area. Be sure to ask the vet questions, just cause they see chins doesnt mean they are familiar with them. When in doubt feel free to post here and ask.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Dex21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

Thank so much!!

Dex21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »

Hey again guys!  I am taking Dex to the vet in a couple of weeks and was wondering if someone would be able to give me some good questions to ask the vet (since BLS Chins said to ask him questions).  Thank you so much again!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Questions would be if they have experience with chinchillas specifically, how many chinchillas do they see, if they know of someone who has good chinchilla experience. If they don't have any experience your vet will likely be useless to you except for common ailments and the risk of making mistakes with dosing for treatments will be very very high.

The most important thing is to know if your pet is at a healthy weight. Chances are there won't be any abnormalities but if there is anything obvious (to a vet) you'll know.

Be extremely careful when traveling if you're in the US where it is summer. Heat and direct sunlight can kill your pets. Avoid putting chinchillas on the floor of the vehicle where it is hot from the exhaust and drivetrain. Remember that the visit will cause stress. Be very careful that your pets have a very calm day the rest of the day.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:28:06 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up