Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good bonding tips  (Read 629 times)

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Good bonding tips
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »

Really am looking for some good bonding tips, something maybe other than letting them check me out via hand in the cage or talking to them, we are way passed that point. Is there anything to really further a good bonded chinchilla relationship?

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Good bonding tips
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

Just time and patience. Each chin gets a custom to you at a different rate and in different ways. Let the chin decide how fat and what it is ready for. If the chin is ok with you reaching in the cage and the occasional chin scratch then the next step is picking up and or play time
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »

That's certainly true. You are ready to start picking up your pet. Just do it several times a day, hold it for a few seconds. Ensure your pets safety by releasing him at floor level. You can use the base of the tail as a gripping point to help you if you need it and you can hold the whole animal that way but only at the BASE. Chinchillas like to stand on thier feet when being held but typically don't like being held at first.
You're certainly ready to let your pet outside of the cage in a chinchilla safe room such as a bathroom where hazards such as power cords are out of the way of being chewed upon. The more you interact with your pet the more settled and adjusted your pet will become, but like BLS Chins said, the rate at which you do this partially depends on your pet so be cooperative. Have fun.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

Truthfully I'm totally freaked out to hold them, I've read all about holding her and whatnot and its just immediate squirm and I have to place her back in the cage. My other Chin Chili totally isn't one to be held..I don't know I guess I'm just not good at reading them, and I'm too concerned about breaking any trust at all due to how many hours were put in to get them to be semi-comfy with me.
The play room is huge I kind of sit at the hide-out that I have in there and Chili runs around me hops on and off my lap; Kiwi is a bit more friendly and jumps in my arms and runs around my shoulders.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:43 AM »

I recommend you hold your chinchilla at least once a day as part of its routine even if it's just a few seconds. You will see improvement and eventually your pet may actually want to be held, especially if it's part of a routine. You'll be able to weigh it easier and get a weight once a week which should be part of your routine for ensuring their health. They are your pets so it's your call.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up