Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to chinchillas! Have a couple of questions!  (Read 551 times)

Jvengeance92

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
New to chinchillas! Have a couple of questions!
« on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »

So, I got a chinchilla from Craigslist with a huge HUGE hand made cage and my husband want to get him a friend. Saying he is lonely. I have this one guy trying to give me a female his daughter is scared of but I DO not want babies. But it would have to be in the same cage. (It takes up a whole wall) and very tall. I read a little on here about how you shouldn't fix chinchillas. What should I do?! Thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New to chinchillas! Have a couple of questions!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »

Here's your options:
1. Neuter the male. It is expensive and there is always the risk of complications. You have to work closely with your vet and it will have to live in separate cage until it's healed up, about 4 weeks.
There are never guarantees chins will be compatible with each other. If they are not you'll have to sell one.

2. Build a partition in the cage. It will require a DOUBLE wall so they won't breed through the bars, minimum is 2". If you've seen a male with his maleness extended, you'll know why. If you use a solid partition with plywood the edges cannot be exposed to chewing because of its toxicity.
Building any partition requires skill and safe design.

3. Your best option is to not accept this female. Chinchillas don't need company and don't always accept it. A chin that is not socialized carefully will not make a very nice pet for you.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jvengeance92

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »

Okay, this chinchilla is very nice and has been held since a baby and socialized with kids (the one I have) I was just curious cause I heard they do better in pairs but I don't want any babies so I might have to decline 😓 how do makes usually get along?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »

Chinchillas are picky. Usually you won't have problems. Sometimes you do and when you do you need to address it and separate them, sometimes permanently. I paired my pets this year (first time experience for me) and they are compatible and getting along. Sometimes it seems borderline though as the young one has been pulling a lot of hair out of the adult chin. Right now they are huddled together sleeping.

I strongly recommend getting a same-sex chinchilla if you would to to pair them. Breeding rescue chins is extremely poor practice. If it is a nice and socialized chinchilla why are they getting rid of it? Is it something I might able to help with? I'm pretty good with animal psychology.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up